EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Loose lifter guide block

Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 PM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Loose lifter guide block

Evo newbie here.

Bought my first big Harley, a '96 Heritage Classic, this past May. Bike had 34k on the clock then, it has about 37k on it now. I bought it from a buddy back home who always took it in to local shop when it needed work. He was the second owner and couldn't tell me much about what all the bike's had done to it over the years.

I've ridden it all summer with no problems of any kind. It's been running great and has been completely oil tight, no leaks of any kind.

Went for a 100-mile ride this evening. Was heading home and got to within a few miles of home and noticed a new knocking sound when I'd let off on the throttle (my pipes are pretty loud, I didn't notice any new noises while running down the road, and it was running as good as ever.)

Got home and pulled into my garage. Left it running and turned the garage lights on to see if I could tell where the knocking noise was coming from. Was freaking shocked to see the rear lifter guide block bouncing up and down about 1/16 of an inch, with oil pouring out from under it!!! All four bolts appear to have come loose during today's ride.

In reading online, I'm seeing this is a somewhat common problem. I know I need to get a 12-point socket to tighten the loose bolts. And I should probably get the alignment tool to make sure I get the lifter block and gasket in the right place.

What all should I check once I get the loose bolts tightened back up (with blue locktite on the cleaned threads)? The bike was still running great and sounded the same (except for the knock) when I got home. What are the chances something got damaged while it was knocking around?

Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated. I've got the FSM for the bike, and access to an online parts breakdown.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as I could.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Yeah, they do that. I keep a 12 point 1/4" socket and a 1/4" combination wrench in my little tool roll (bag) for just such an occurrence. It has happened to me two or three times in the last 30 years. A dab of loctite helps. The whole "centering tool" thing is another topic. Some insist on using them. Some don't bother. I asked a factory trained mechanic that owned a dealership about them and he said he never used one. I don't bother. Just eyeball it center and go.

The following users liked this post:
yellowstone kelly (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yeah, they do that. I keep a 12 point 1/4" socket and a 1/4" combination wrench in my little tool roll (bag) for just such an occurrence. It has happened to me two or three times in the last 30 years. A dab of loctite helps. The whole "centering tool" thing is another topic. Some insist on using them. Some don't bother. I asked a factory trained mechanic that owned a dealership about them and he said he never used one. I don't bother. Just eyeball it center and go.
I was watching a video with the guy from Tatro Machine building an Evo motor. His comment on the alignment tool was "Who says the holes in the case are in the right place?"

Good point.

My lifter blocks worked loose as well. Not loose enough to move, but loose enough to leak. Snugged them down and all has been well since. One more thing to keep an eye on, I suppose.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks guys. I went back out last night and took another look. At first look I thought it was loose enough to be jumping up and down, but actually it was just jumping/moving around a little, side to side.

I ordered the alignment tool, but read where some use them and some don't. Also read where one guy tightened the alignment tool down too hard and cracked the lifter block at that hole. That would not be good!

Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

There's such little movement to begin with that i don't think it would make any difference. I have used them initially now they just sit in the drawer.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I was watching a video with the guy from Tatro Machine building an Evo motor. His comment on the alignment tool was "Who says the holes in the case are in the right place?"

Good point.

My lifter blocks worked loose as well. Not loose enough to move, but loose enough to leak. Snugged them down and all has been well since. One more thing to keep an eye on, I suppose.
How in the hell is the alignment tool supposed to help if the holes in the case are in the wrong place?????????

Old 09-12-2016, 12:55 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowstone kelly
Thanks guys. I went back out last night and took another look. At first look I thought it was loose enough to be jumping up and down, but actually it was just jumping/moving around a little, side to side.

I ordered the alignment tool, but read where some use them and some don't. Also read where one guy tightened the alignment tool down too hard and cracked the lifter block at that hole. That would not be good!

Thanks again.
As Doc says just tighten up the bolts.
Blue lock tight is your friend.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
How in the hell is the alignment tool supposed to help if the holes in the case are in the wrong place?????????
That was his point in explaining why he doesn't use the alignment tool.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:37 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Had the blocks off twice in the early time of ownership and the rear came loose once. Tighten it up and loctite is a good idea.

Doc gave me the same advice and I took it

WP

Old 09-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,695 Likes on 1,985 Posts

Wow, that's a new one on me. Never happened to me in 23 years. Now, of course I've jinxed myself by saying that

If you do use the alignment tool, only tighten it finger tight. Using a wrench on it can crack the lifter block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loose lifter guide block