EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1989 Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 AM
Allenz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1989 Turn Signal Problem

I have a 1989 FLHTC, for years if I turn on either the right or left turn signal occasionally they will not self cancel so I have to hit the button again to cancel them. Again this has been only on occasion and most of the time they worked OK.

Now the turn signals are not working at most of the time. If I hold in the right or left turn signal button, on the handlebar, I get nothing and the light bulb doe's not light up at all. Only on occasion I will get them to work. Sometimes only one blink to 5 blinks then nothing. Same with the four way hazard flasher.

I looked at the wiring diagram and listed is a directional flasher, a hazard flasher, a hazard flasher switch, and of course there is the self cancelling unit. Since for years occasionally the self cancelling did not work that self cancelling modular may be the problem. But would the self cancelling modular cause the light bulb not to light at all as I press on the handlebar switch?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction or have any test procedures to test each individual component.

Of course the flasher is cheep so I will try that first. Plus I will have to check with the dealer to see if they still support the self cancelling modular.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2016, 10:34 AM
richard567
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default bad module

i have an 89 too and my turn signals did same thing..tried chasing it down,found it easier and less expensive to use the badlands turn signal module...look on ebay...hope it works for you like it did for me...

Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have a 1990 which I think is the first year with a single module that does everything for the signals. I agree with Richard that using a Badlands is probably the simplest replacement, which is certainly what I will do if and when my module packs up.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have a 1990 which I think is the first year with a single module that does everything for the signals. I agree with Richard that using a Badlands is probably the simplest replacement, which is certainly what I will do if and when my module packs up.
Yes...totally agree with Richard and Sir Graham. I have got 3 used factory modules (eBay) and they have all given me problems even when tested and fitted by reliable Auto Elec. Technician. In the end I bought and fitted a new Badlands Module over 3 years ago. 100% RELIABLE. I should have bought the Badlands in the first place as Sir Graham and others suggested.
If finances allow....dont mess about buy the new Badlands. I am sure you wont regret it and the peace of mind is priceless.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yes...totally agree with Richard and Sir Graham. I have got 3 used factory modules (eBay) and they have all given me problems even when tested and fitted by reliable Auto Elec. Technician. In the end I bought and fitted a new Badlands Module over 3 years ago. 100% RELIABLE. I should have bought the Badlands in the first place as Sir Graham and others suggested.
If finances allow....dont mess about, buy the new Badlands. I am sure you wont regret it and the peace of mind is priceless.