EVO All Evo Model Discussion

CV Carb Tuning Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 AM
happyhab
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CV Carb Tuning Help Please

I'm a relatively new HD EVO owner, '95 FXDWG, having asked many questions and sifted through tons of information, I thought that EVO would be the best option for me. I have a mechanical background, run a little general shop, and thus typically do all my own maintenance. Having a few customers that rave about their old EVO's, I opted for the old school approach.

If you look at my past threads, you will see I encountered a big surprise dropping a valve and discovering my engine had been built incorrectly and was a ticking time bomb.

I have since found a replacement engine and installed it along with all the sensible maintenance while everything was apart. The replacement engine is a rebuilt '94 EVO with a complete replacement S&S bottom end. It did not come with a carb, so I bolted on my old CV and it ran like a top, even the idle screw setting was bang on. So, I didn't fiddle with the carb at all.

However, having put several tanks of gas through the bike following the engine swap, I am not happy with the plug colour. The bike starts, idles, and runs great, but personally I think it's a hair too lean based on the colour. The front and rear plugs look identical.

I am running a Crane Cams single fire high intensity Coil 76-04. HD 5R6A plugs.

Today I pulled off the carb and noted a #185 main and #45 slow jet. I've attached a picture of the needle, but can not identify it as being stock or aftermarket. My guess would be that it's not stock considering the previous engine had a monster cam. The little clip is set in the middle setting of the grooves. There were no additional washers under it. The diaphragm spring is about 5-3/4" long with nothing clipped - looks stock according to what I've read. I attached a pic of the bottom of the slide as I do not know if there are extra holes drilled into it or not? None are 7/64", all under that.

Even with the old engine, I never had any carb related issues other than the plastic inlet elbow being cracked. The bike always ran good and had good response. Idled nice.

The idle screw plug has been removed and it looked like the it was set around 1.5-2 turns whereas I'm reading that 2.5-2.75 turns is likely more correct?

The bike has an HD Screamin' Eagle K&N style air filter and HD slash cut pipes. I generally cruise in the 2200-3000 RPM range and do not rev over 3500 ever.

So I guess the first big question mark for me is whether or not that is a stock needle, or looks somewhat familiar to anyone? The reality is that it is working to a large degree, so given my past experience tuning, my next step would be to try shimming the needle or go up one size on the main jet. Or, if the idle screw was indeed set too lean, would another turn outwards richen up the overall circuit enough given my primarily low-rev riding style?

Attached Thumbnails CV Carb Tuning Help Please-img_5320.jpg   CV Carb Tuning Help Please-img_5321.jpg   CV Carb Tuning Help Please-img_5322.jpg   CV Carb Tuning Help Please-img_5323.jpg   CV Carb Tuning Help Please-img_5324.jpg  

CV Carb Tuning Help Please-img_5325.jpg  

Last edited by happyhab; 09-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:07 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

What is fuel consumption? This is a big help in diagnosing. Also as to cold starts - is enricher necessary?

My hands-on is a 1991 cv on an 87 evo that's more or less stock. I have the same size jets. That needle does not look to my eye stock. I think those are extra holes that are also not stock. But your scooter is newer... I agree the plugs look pretty white...

I use the factory manual. Can be downloaded to disk for ten bucks as I recall.

And cv specialties might be helpful

good luck!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

That is not a stock needle. Switch it out for a N65 Needle. Leave everything else Alone and put it back together. Set the idle screw for 2.5 turns turns out from lightly seated.

Have you ever replaced the intake manifold seals? Might want to consider that or at least check for leaks.

I would say you are only slightly lean. YD

Old 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
That is not a stock needle. Switch it out for a N65 Needle. Leave everything else Alone and put it back together. Set the idle screw for 2.5 turns turns out from lightly seated.

Have you ever replaced the intake manifold seals? Might want to consider that or at least check for leaks.

I would say you are only slightly lean. YD

Exactly what I was going to say!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:56 AM
happyhab
Cruiser

To answer your questions..

I pull the enricher out all the way, couple twists of the throttle, engage the starter and it fires right up (although this was likely with too lean a setting on low jet screw).

I have not monitored the mileage I am getting, but I would say it gets very good mileage as opposed to noticeably poor mileage.

I do have the manual as well thanks.

I'll order the needle and get back to you. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2016, 11:34 AM
happyhab
Cruiser

I made a little discovery by accident about my slide while looking for an OEM replacement. It turns out my carb must have had at least a partial Dynojet Thunderslide kit installed as the slide in their kit matches mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynojet-Thun...dWokR5&vxp=mtr

So, given that, I think I might better just hit CV specialties for some OEM replacement parts because the emulsion tube could very well be wrong as well.....Grrrrr

Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by happyhab
I made a little discovery by accident about my slide while looking for an OEM replacement. It turns out my carb must have had at least a partial Dynojet Thunderslide kit installed as the slide in their kit matches mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynojet-Thun...dWokR5&vxp=mtr

So, given that, I think I might better just hit CV specialties for some OEM replacement parts because the emulsion tube could very well be wrong as well.....Grrrrr
Good plan. I've been pleased with the stuff from CV Performance. They're good guys.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

I agree, get a new emulsion tube, needle jet, and needle along with a new slide and diaphragm.

Be advised, dyno jet main jet will not fit a stock or CVP emulsion tube, so you need a new main jet also. YD

Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM
happyhab
Cruiser

Thanks guys. As I am up in the Great White North, Canada, and looking at a few weeks in the mail, I've reassembled everything back together, but shimmed up the need about 0.035"

Hopefully doing that, along with a bit more idle mixture, will give me a tad more colour in the meantime.

Cheers & thanks.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:48 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Nevermind.. Already covered..

Griz

Quick Reply: CV Carb Tuning Help Please