EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Dogo1488
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod

First post heremail and I would appreciate some advice.
I bought a custom chopper with a 90 bored cam EVO Ultra and 2015 Ultima 6 gear trans and shorty carb.
Bike was put together in 2015 and rode for no more than 1000 miles.
Everything was running good until 4 days ago. I was riding and clutch sound like cable broke and became hard and I was not able to change gears. My first thought was that the cable broke since but it was in perfect condition. I call a frend of mine mechanic and wothout telling him it was a Harley in 30 seconds he told me what the problem was.He told me "it is a Harley , right?and you felt like the clutch cable shaped, right?" He told me to take of the right cover because the throw-out bearing broke and that it was a common problems. I took of the cover and I found he was right. Towed bIke and I next day bought the bearing.
When we took the pushrod pit and the adjusting left end we found out there was some marks. He recommended me to order the left adjusting part, pushrod and right end because it was going to give me problem in the future and for peace of mind. It call my attention that the bearing and pushrod end were dry and without any lubrication. We installed the throw-out bearing with white grease and lubed the pushrod ends. I went for a ride and clutch was working perfect after the proper adjustments.
I went back home today and again after 5 miles same problem. Bearing broke again. Now, after spending all day towing again the bike I research a little the forum and I found out that some more info. It might have happened that when they put it together they adjusted the clutch too tide and without play causing the pushrod to be in constant friction and creating heat and friction.
Now I am not sure if I should buy Harley parts all new or aftermarket parts and see if it will work like it is suppouse to.
If one of you have had or seen this problem I woukd really use your experience and knowledge to get my bike fixed .
Thank you very much for any help or guidance about what to buy and if there is anything like this good as an uparade

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WD16ZO...I316V0BNIJ11ZW
Thanks and sorry for the long post

Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

The clutch pushrod for the ultima six speed is different than the oem one. I forget if it is longer or shorter

Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 PM
Dogo1488
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will research about different options. If could buy all the Ultima parts needed but if somebody else has experienced the same issue and thinks there is a better manufacturer than just Ultima.
From the little research I have done looks like Ultima trans are not the best out there and specially 6 gear open primary either. Well, I guess I will have to deal with this problem and do the best I can with your adevice and the little money left I have.
Thanks again guys

Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Dogo1488
4th Gear

Looks I am not the only one with this problem
http://www.*****************/forums/...8065?_k=dr2hnx

Old 10-25-2016, 06:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

I have the Ultima 6 and yes it does require a 1/4" longer pushrod but I don't think your gonna find one (I couldn't). What I did was I use the clutch adjustment screw From Either my Rivera Primo belt drive primary and clutch setup or it was from my BDL Belt drive and clutch system. Measure the length of your adjuster and call tech support @ both companies and ask what the length of their adjuster is and get the longer one.
It is longer and makes up for the difference with the Ultima 6 speed. I also don't think you'll get more than .065" travel at the clutch pack on the left side. Just make sure you have 1/16" gap where the clutch cable meets the clutch hand lever. Also make sure you have enough gear lube in the trans. I believe the Ultima takes 24 oz..

Old 10-25-2016, 12:33 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Sounds like there was no free play in the clutch adjustment if it went out that fast. Or maybe the mainshaft is bent. We have longer throw out rods if you need one. with our OD6 we supply a 2 13/16" throwout rod where the stock one is 2 5/8". Did it hurt the rod this time or just burn up the bearing?

The following users liked this post:
Dogo1488 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 02:30 AM
Dogo1488
4th Gear

Thank you all for your help.
I will try to make some time tomorrow to inspect the parts and will give an update and cross my fingers it did not over heat or created any more damage. Bike as no more than 1000 and I have the certificate from Ultima from 2015 purchase, so I also think that the only reason for the to fail has to email that however put it together did not leave any play and adjusted the clutch way too tide.
Thank you for your interest Mr. Baker and if it was me I would have gone with your products for sure. I have had more than 16 bikes and this is my first Harley. From what I have read since i bought it your products have the best reputation in any Harley and that means a lot. When I was asking for advice regarding replacing all the parts and do it the right way I was hoping to find a Baker part to put on.
I will measure the throw-out rod tomorrow as well as pushrod and clutch adjustment left end.
Do you by any chance sell the pushrod and clutch adjustment end?
I will be contacting you in regards of what parts to get from you to improve this and make it the right way.
Thank you all

Old 10-26-2016, 02:36 AM
Dogo1488
4th Gear

Hey Mark, looks like since I just became member a couple of day ago I am not able to PM you . I could appreciate if you try to contact me so I can order the right parts with you.
Thanks
Pat

Old 10-27-2016, 09:32 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogo1488
Thank you all for your help.
I will try to make some time tomorrow to inspect the parts and will give an update and cross my fingers it did not over heat or created any more damage. Bike as no more than 1000 and I have the certificate from Ultima from 2015 purchase, so I also think that the only reason for the to fail has to email that however put it together did not leave any play and adjusted the clutch way too tide.
Thank you for your interest Mr. Baker and if it was me I would have gone with your products for sure. I have had more than 16 bikes and this is my first Harley. From what I have read since i bought it your products have the best reputation in any Harley and that means a lot. When I was asking for advice regarding replacing all the parts and do it the right way I was hoping to find a Baker part to put on.
I will measure the throw-out rod tomorrow as well as pushrod and clutch adjustment left end.
Do you by any chance sell the pushrod and clutch adjustment end?
I will be contacting you in regards of what parts to get from you to improve this and make it the right way.
Thank you all
You can call if you need to. 517-339-3835 or email me at mark@bakerdrivetrain.com we have center rods and adjuster screws as well. The adjuster screws we have are just stock Harley. Let me know what length rods you need and we'll get them coming.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Dogo1488
4th Gear

Great . I will be contacting you. I have the center rod measurment and I will also get the throw-out rod . I am running a Riviera Primo primary so I guess I will have o call them and get that part from them. Here are some pics of what I pulled out yesterday. You can see the heat and damaged ends caused by constant friction. In this case rods did not weld together. I guess I was lucky that the bearing broke both sides times.
In my ULTIMA 6 SPEED
Measurement of the main rod is 11 19/32 from what I can tell.
I hope this helps somebody else too. I will measure adjusting screw rod (Primo open belt primary) and throw out push rod later

Attached Thumbnails Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_180320.jpg   Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_180330.jpg   Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_180515.jpg   Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_180516.jpg   Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_180425.jpg  

Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_180524.jpg   Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod-20161026_185714.jpg  

Quick Reply: Please advise before buying a new clutch pushrod