EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED Lights (headlights, turn signals, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:03 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

The Roadglide has its own unique set of issues. I started with stock, which were barely usable. Next, I upgraded to PIAA halogens. Better, but no cigar. I then bought a 2009 takeoff headlamp assembly which I put the PIAA's into. Better yet, but it still did not light up the road.

Next step was to buy a set of LED bulbs. These required some fitting into the headlight buckets, as they are not true 9004 bases. They lack the pin to go into the notch in the assembly that locks the bulb into place. This was really approaching a good working headlamp. However, as others have said they just did not really focus the light, and tossed a lot of it high and wide. Adjustments to the alignment did not seem to help.

I finally bit the bullet, and bought a set of Harley's Daymakers. They are not supposed to fit a 2003 down bike. They do. You have to swap out the longer adjustment screws that come in the Daymakers for the shorter ones that are in the 2003 down models, elswise the screws hit the radio.

It is like the heavens parted, and the angels began to sing the first time I rode at night with them in. Expensive? Yes, but worth it.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,177 Likes on 6,218 Posts

I just thought I would mention that I went to LED a couple of years ago, and as you can see by the pictures, everything is still holding up.

At least half of my riding is at night, so getting good lighting was a big deal for me. I work at night for seven nights in a row for twelve hours then I am off for a week. Sometimes when I am off, I don't bother changing my sleep pattern over and I stay on schedule of sleeping in the daytime and being awake at night. I work from 7 PM until 7 AM. Yeah, I am that weird quiet guy in the subdivision.

I used a badlands module for the turn signals. There are several available. After considerable research I found that most generate excess heat to the point where they said placement of the module is critical because of potential fire hazards or melting stuff. They also said they should not be used in parade mounts. Eventually I found one particular part number from Badlands that ran cool and could handle parade mode just fine without generating extra heat.

As Alan mentioned, the LED's draw far less current which means it is easier on your electrical system, not only while running, but also makes more power available to the starter.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
The Roadglide has its own unique set of issues. I started with stock, which were barely usable. Next, I upgraded to PIAA halogens. Better, but no cigar. I then bought a 2009 takeoff headlamp assembly which I put the PIAA's into. Better yet, but it still did not light up the road.

Next step was to buy a set of LED bulbs. These required some fitting into the headlight buckets, as they are not true 9004 bases. They lack the pin to go into the notch in the assembly that locks the bulb into place. This was really approaching a good working headlamp. However, as others have said they just did not really focus the light, and tossed a lot of it high and wide. Adjustments to the alignment did not seem to help.

I finally bit the bullet, and bought a set of Harley's Daymakers. They are not supposed to fit a 2003 down bike. They do. You have to swap out the longer adjustment screws that come in the Daymakers for the shorter ones that are in the 2003 down models, elswise the screws hit the radio.

It is like the heavens parted, and the angels began to sing the first time I rode at night with them in. Expensive? Yes, but worth it.
I also went with higher watt halogens, but put them into the euro spec housing. Much better than stock. I do not care for the pattern of the LEDs, so I've just been waiting and watching. When you bought the Daymakers, did you install them into the 2009 housing, or 2003 down?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:19 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beemervet
I also went with higher watt halogens, but put them into the euro spec housing. Much better than stock. I do not care for the pattern of the LEDs, so I've just been waiting and watching. When you bought the Daymakers, did you install them into the 2009 housing, or 2003 down?
They come with their own housing. The only thing you have to do is swap out the shorter adjustment screws that are on your bike for the longer ones in the OEM Daymaker housing. Other than that just follow the instructions that come with the lights.

I have no idea why Harley would not put in the instructions how to make them work on 2003 down. Lazy engineers!

Old 11-02-2016, 07:19 PM
engr146
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have u checked out the new led flasher relay,no need to install load resisters to stop hyper flashing on led bulbs on turn signals anymore.for #1156/1157 bayonet type .

Last edited by engr146; 11-02-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by engr146
Have u checked out the new led flasher relay,no need to install load resisters to stop hyper flashing on led bulbs on turn signals anymore.for #1156/1157 bayonet type .
I use a badlands module that uses integrated circuits instead of the older resistors that get hot.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:59 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by larsfum
They come with their own housing. The only thing you have to do is swap out the shorter adjustment screws that are on your bike for the longer ones in the OEM Daymaker housing. Other than that just follow the instructions that come with the lights.

I have no idea why Harley would not put in the instructions how to make them work on 2003 down. Lazy engineers!
Beemervet: I forgot to mention that I did need to add a couple of ferrite chokes to the wires leading to the Daymakers to prevent some radio static. I have the OEM radio, and Hog Tunes 2.1 amp.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Thanks Lars, I'll look into it.
(sorry for the semi-hijack)

Old 11-03-2016, 06:44 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I purchased a led light bulb at the steeler for $75. It replaces the H4 holegen but would not fit into the bucket deep enough due to the fan on the bulb,I needed about a 1/4" more depth to get the lens and ring seated, I also have a diamond cut lens to direct the light but I will never know how it would have been, sucks cuz I didn't want to spend $400.on a headlight.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I purchased a led light bulb at the steeler for $75. It replaces the H4 holegen but would not fit into the bucket deep enough due to the fan on the bulb,I needed about a 1/4" more depth to get the lens and ring seated, I also have a diamond cut lens to direct the light but I will never know how it would have been, sucks cuz I didn't want to spend $400.on a headlight.
What kind of bike and what size light? I am on the mobile app tonight so I don't see everything. I might have some ideas or resources available.

Lighting is a big deal to us Jeepers. Still have a couple of more lights to install on my Jeep's bumper.

Quick Reply: LED Lights (headlights, turn signals, etc)