EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1986 FLT transformation

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Rowansdad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The battery was next to the saddlebag, between the swingarm and the saddlebag, behind the oil tank. Where is it now?

Anyway, nothing you can do to that bike will make it stop like a sport bike. You have physics working against you. It weighs around 800 lbs or better with you on it, and momentum is momentum. Maybe with a super gummy race front tire, very aggressive pads and a super strong hand you could approach a stock sport bike on old hard rubber, but be realistic. It's not a crotch rocket.

The battery is under the seat. When my daughter wakes up I will get a picture of the mount. Yeah this bike is far more comfortable then a street bike.

Last edited by Rowansdad; 12-04-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Rowansdad
Intermediate

does anyone know why the tank cover on my bike is plastic? I am not sure if its factory or if it some aftermarket part the last guy put on.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Stretched tank, or stretched covers and console

http://oldinc.com/oldystanks.htm

Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You're definitely dealing with someone else's project there.

If the battery is under the seat, it has been relocated. Those don't look like stock bags, either.

For stopping, fitting some better calipers will make a world of difference. Several ways to get there. You can fit late model HD's or even sportbike calipers with an adapter, or go with one of the aftermarket direct bolt-on options.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Rowansdad
Intermediate

Yeah the more that I research the bike..... the more questions I end up with. Does anyone know if a road king tank with the speedo in the dash fit my bike?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Rowansdad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 0maha
You're definitely dealing with someone else's project there.

If the battery is under the seat, it has been relocated. Those don't look like stock bags, either.

For stopping, fitting some better calipers will make a world of difference. Several ways to get there. You can fit late model HD's or even sportbike calipers with an adapter, or go with one of the aftermarket direct bolt-on options.
From my little bit of knowledge and research done I think that the bags are off a police bike. They seem to be the only bikes that had that latch system. This picture they look ok but the previous owner cut speakers into the top of them so now they leak when it rains👎👌. Yeah it's nice to hear tunes but it's kinda bs when all your **** is wet.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowansdad
From my little bit of knowledge and research done I think that the bags are off a police bike. They seem to be the only bikes that had that latch system.
That's correct. The latch and hinge system is easier to use than civilian models, but if you mount a tour pak, they don't clear unless you space it about an inch and a half higher.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Rowansdad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
That's correct. The latch and hinge system is easier to use than civilian models, but if you mount a tour pak, they don't clear unless you space it about an inch and a half higher.

yeah no Tour pack for this guy. I actually really like the way the latch works it's easy to use with gloves. I am not crazy about the look of the twist patch but I do appreciate the functionality of them.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowansdad
yeah no Tour pack for this guy. I actually really like the way the latch works it's easy to use with gloves. I am not crazy about the look of the twist patch but I do appreciate the functionality of them.
I had a police bike an they say the whole purpose of that latch was ease of use in gloves...I used to check them frequently since they can be prone to vibrating open. If you don't like the look there's options to replace that set up on ebay but I hear they don't hold as well.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Where to start?!
  • Your bags are later spec Police bags, which I also have on my '90 bike. They are more roomy than the stock bags.
  • You can glam up your bags with chrome goodies, available widely, including your 'pucks'. Check out various sites for aftermarket Police bike custom items.
  • I assume you have a later trans, with the engine oil underneath, to replace the original oil bag? That battery 'tray' is a real dog's breakfast!
  • Brakes: easy stuff is to swap to braided hoses, use aftermarket pads, swap to floating rotors. A change of calipers can be more expensive, just how far do you want to go?!
  • Suspension upgrades, those worth having, are expensive and will make a brake upgrade even more pressing!
  • Change your swingarm cleve blocks for solid bushings.
  • To tighten up handling install a True-Track rear stabiliser.
There is more. Spending someone elses money can be so much fun.....

Quick Reply: 1986 FLT transformation