EVO All Evo Model Discussion
View Poll Results: What is the best all around tire?
Michelin Commander II
50.00%
Avon Cobra
23.33%
Metzeler M888 (these replaced the 880)
16.67%
Continental ?
0%
Pirelli Night Dragon
6.67%
Trojan
3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Tires (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:20 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts
Default Tires (Again)

Just curious if anybody's preference on tires have changed. I would also like to know reasons for the choice and any other amplifying information. I am gathering the last few things for the winter refresh on my Heritage and tires is one thing I have been researching. I still have stock wheels, so obviously running tubes.

I changed my mind many times so far. I also know what I do not like and what was ok, but not great.

I am pretty sure I will get Michelin Commander II's, but have been looking at others such as Avon Cobra. I have not tried either of those before.

I wish I could get a wider back tire, because even with my mild engine build, I spin the back tire way too easily. It also looks too narrow. I am not ready to spend the money to do a wider back tire the right way right now.

Three areas want better performance out if in a tire are less harsh ride, more sure footed feeling while leaning, and better braking. The last mishap with a damn nail ended up having to put on an OEM type Dunlop on the rear which just plain sucks. I was in a bind and that's what they had on hand. That thing has no traction during braking and no traction launching.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I switched from dunlop to commander II tires and like the change so far. I changed because I heard good things about the michelins.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

No dunlops on the list?

Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

You spin your rear tyres because you have a poor brand!

What are using at present? You can fit a 140 wide tyre, if you are prepared to modify your belt guard, on my Glide I removed the rubber curtain down the inside. Some owners claim to squeeze in a 150, but when I tried that there was no way it would fit. I eventually changed to a 1 1/8" belt to do that, but now have a 160 - although that is another story! The stock tyre is an MT, or 130/90; an MU is 140/85 with an alternative being 140/90; the other option is a 150/80. All those are similar in OD, the 140/90 being a little larger than the other three.

As for brand, I've been using Avons on my Harleys since the '70s - none nicer! I now have a Cobra front and Storm rear, Venoms for many years prior to them. Why are they so good? Excellent grip in all conditions, including cold and heavy rain - compliant giving improved ride quality and comfort. If you buy them don't foget to check their website, as the routinely recommend higher pressures than stock tyres.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:38 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruggs59
No dunlops on the list?

I'm running the Dunlop American Elite and couldn't be happier with them.

I do agree that OEM Dunlops are crap and should never be installed on any motorcycle!!!!

Old 01-05-2017, 05:45 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I wonder why OEM Dunlops are so different than American Elites

Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You spin your rear tyres because you have a poor brand!

As for brand, I've been using Avons on my Harleys since the '70s - none nicer! I now have a Cobra front and Storm rear, Venoms for many years prior to them. Why are they so good? Excellent grip in all conditions, including cold and heavy rain - compliant giving improved ride quality and comfort. If you buy them don't foget to check their website, as the routinely recommend higher pressures than stock tyres.
The problem isn't the brand.
Dunlop makes their OEM Harley tires to Harley specs and those specs are crap!!!

As for your Avons I have heard many good things about them for many years.
One friend of mine said the traction was so good that they would climb walls but I suspect he was exaggerating a bit!!!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
The problem isn't the brand.
Dunlop makes their OEM Harley tires to Harley specs and those specs are crap!!!

As for your Avons I have heard many good things about them for many years.
One friend of mine said the traction was so good that they would climb walls but I suspect he was exaggerating a bit!!!
I'm not so sure......

I tried other brands during my earlier Harley years, but gave up after a while, so haven't tried around for a long time. They're British made tyres from a US tire company, which sounds like an excellent compromise!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

EliteIII to me all around best...in fairness I haven't tried 888's yet. Also depends on Year and tire size.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruggs59
No dunlops on the list?
Dunno if its operative here on HDF (possible reason for an obvious omission), but here in the great white north there seems to be a common misconception that, when it comes to things automotive, if its European its automatically a superior choice. IMHO that means when it comes to Kool-Aid, we all have our flavors.

Mine is that my E3's are a head and shoulders improvement over OEM Dunlops, (just like Metz, Mich, etc.) and by ALL accounts American Elites are too. Without compelling proof that European "touring" tires are a "significant" improvement for the money over E3's, I'm sticking with my more economical, North American made tires. When it comes to rubber, I don't pay extra for tyre vs tire bragging rights or fast wearing race tires I have absolutely no practical requirement for.

Yep I think, all else being near as damn equal, its important to buy North American. Thats just my flavor choice too.

http://dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tir...merican-elite/

Last edited by HKMark23; 01-05-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Tires (Again)