EVO All Evo Model Discussion

redid cv swap with cv intake...now problems

Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 PM
800screws
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default redid cv swap with cv intake...now problems

so I did the cv swap with the manifold adapter and the bike ran fine....I decided to redo it with a cv manifold and get rid of the adapter...used new gaskets, new flanges....
now the bike wont stay running unless u blip the throttle a couple times to start it, and then give it a quarter turn holding the throttle. as soon as u let the throttle return it just dies out.
I took the air cleaner and mount off....the intake moves up and down in the flanges? is this correct? since the aircleaner holds the carb. and if so what could be keeping the engine from running on its own?

Old 02-12-2017, 04:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 800screws
so I did the cv swap with the manifold adapter and the bike ran fine....I decided to redo it with a cv manifold and get rid of the adapter...used new gaskets, new flanges....
now the bike wont stay running unless u blip the throttle a couple times to start it, and then give it a quarter turn holding the throttle. as soon as u let the throttle return it just dies out.
I took the air cleaner and mount off....the intake moves up and down in the flanges? is this correct? since the aircleaner holds the carb. and if so what could be keeping the engine from running on its own?
No it isn't.
The intake shouldn't move after you tighten up the bolts.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Did you use HD gaskets? I only say this because when i had my carb freshened up I had some gaskets laying around from JP Cycle. (dont know what brand) and they were loose when i tightened up the two flanges. I could move the manifold up and down easily. I didn't even continue with those. Got a set from HD and they tightened it right up

Someone makes an oversized set to. (they are blue) I cant remember who makes them.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
800screws
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I guess that's it then. They were James gaskets.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruggs59
Did you use HD gaskets? I only say this because when i had my carb freshened up I had some gaskets laying around from JP Cycle. (dont know what brand) and they were loose when i tightened up the two flanges. I could move the manifold up and down easily. I didn't even continue with those. Got a set from HD and they tightened it right up

Someone makes an oversized set to. (they are blue) I cant remember who makes them.

James Intake Seal?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/401-372

Sorry...beat me to it.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_N
James Intake Seal?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/401-372

Sorry...beat me to it.

Yes those are the blue oversized, what I found with them is that lip on the inside will squish into the intake area between the head and manifold. Personally I would just trim it off with a razor blade.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,700 Likes on 1,988 Posts

FWIW, there are some things I just don't think it's worth trying to save a couple of bucks by going aftermarket. Intake seals are one of them.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:54 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I thought most people thought highly of James gaskets....I just did intake seals last fall an used HD ones...I usually get items like this from the dealership so I have an excuse to check out the new overpriced bikes an it's close so no waiting on shipping.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:47 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

I have tried all those, and HD seal up the best and been in there about 3 yrs now.
Nothing should be loose when your done.
Mounting procedure is paramount... In short, I mount the manifold loosely.
Then Bolt carb to manifold firmly.
Then tighten manifold to heads holding Carb at a correct angle that everything aligns.
Then check that everything is tight.

Last edited by aces&8s; 02-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Op said used adapter at one point. Just need to say everything has to be compatible to last and not give you a problem later.
For instance S&S makes 2 different intake manifolds, old ss and newer ss for newer carb. Just saying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: redid cv swap with cv intake...now problems