Tapered wheel bearings clearance - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums

Evo Classic Models All Evo Models

Tapered wheel bearings clearance

P

Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0maha View Post
Not sure if the FSM was updated, but mine says 2 to 6 thou.
That Would be correct...
Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Extreme HDF Member

Tapered and roller bearing wheel bearing 101 and 102..

They can live with a lot of clearance since back when they come like that, the average speed was 27.99 MPH???
Attached Thumbnails
Tapered wheel bearings clearance-wheel-hub-taper-_1.jpg   Tapered wheel bearings clearance-wheel-hub-taper-_2.jpg   Tapered wheel bearings clearance-wheel-hub-sealed-bearing_1.jpg   Tapered wheel bearings clearance-wheel-hub-sealed-bearing_2.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to RIPSAW For This Useful Post:
0maha (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Supporter

Black grease - moly, you don't want to use that on a wheel bearing. I only use good brand name synthetic that costs a bit, none of that $1.99 a tube stuff. Lot of the sealed bearings have some clear stuff that looks like vaseline in them, and I'd bet that's why so many of those fail early; I always pop a seal off sealed bearings and check, and more often than not clean them out and put the good stuff in. I'd do that real quick on a new off the floor 2017 Harley's wheels, too. Like you, I like the old Timken tapered much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0maha View Post
I can see from a manufacturing perspective how just pressing in a sealed bearing would save a lot of time and money.
If it's done right, press the wrong side in first and it might not save time and money down the road...
Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G. View Post
Grease them when you change tires and they WILL pretty much last forever, unlike the "sealed" bearings the MoCo uses nowadays. On my bike, one set was replaced at 128,000 miles. The other wheel was still running the original bearings at 195,000 miles and was replaced only because I built a new set of wheels on NOS hubs.

It's things like this that keep me running my "old" bike.
I agree but also need to ad: Do not power wash near the bearings. Blasting water in there will cause rust. When I bought my Dyna the races had pitting and the rollers didn't look all that great either. I'm blaming a power washer or car wash wand by the previous owner.

Moco dealers still stock the spacer washers in different thickness, but I bet that will go away as the inventory gets sold. YD
Old 02-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I agree but also need to ad: Do not power wash near the bearings. Blasting water in there will cause rust. When I bought my Dyna the races had pitting and the rollers didn't look all that great either. I'm blaming a power washer or car wash wand by the previous owner.

Moco dealers still stock the spacer washers in different thickness, but I bet that will go away as the inventory gets sold. YD
My ride has never seen water except for rain and the green garden hose. Pressure washers belong nowhere near a motorcycle IMO.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G. View Post
My ride has never seen water except for rain and the green garden hose. Pressure washers belong nowhere near a motorcycle IMO.
You would have to be an idiot to pressure was a good working bike..... Anything less could be understandable... Maybe.....
Old 02-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Road Warrior

I have used a pressure washer a handful of times maybe.

Have gotten caught leaving friends or our farm(as we call it) after a hard rain. With a couple miles of dirt and cliche roads traveled to get out, that can make a MESS.

Got stuck once with the bike still upright. A neighbor came along and pulled me out with a rope on the upper part of the down tubes. I removed the rear wheel to clean the fender and wheel up after I got home that day.

WP
Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Club Member

Ok, maybe at times I can be an Idiot... lol....
Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Road Captain

Yes I got stuck having no choice but to ride a road that was freshly tore up and then watered down to keep the dust down by the road crew. To turn around would have added at least 50 miles and we had a deadline.

That was last august. Still finding spots of that caked on baked on chit...My buddy in a cream puff road king would not go over 5 MPH. YD

P