EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tapered wheel bearings clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Tapered wheel bearings clearance

Pulled mine out for the first time tonight. Have to say I'm impressed. 26k miles and they look like new.

My question is if I need to check the clearance on these. The bearings look new, the races look new, there was both black and blue grease on them so I'm thinking someone has been in there before. The spacer doesn't have any mushrooming or other signs of wear.

How often, if ever, do you check the endplay on yours?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

I have never checked the end play on the bearings on my `89 Softail, over 140,000 miles and they look fine.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Once it's been shimmed properly it should never change. .002"-.006" is the norm...

Old 02-17-2017, 06:15 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

I checked mine, front was .005 and the rear was .006. I packed them and went on my way. Its a pretty simple check using a magnetic base dial indicator. Mike

Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Once you have the endplay set there is no reason to check it again until you change the races.

If you keep your bearings greased then there will be no reason to change the races.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, all.

This setup really impressed me. I've never had a bike with this type bearings before. I like it. No reason they shouldn't pretty much last forever.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Thanks, all.

This setup really impressed me. I've never had a bike with this type bearings before. I like it. No reason they shouldn't pretty much last forever.
Grease them when you change tires and they WILL pretty much last forever, unlike the "sealed" bearings the MoCo uses nowadays. On my bike, one set was replaced at 128,000 miles. The other wheel was still running the original bearings at 195,000 miles and was replaced only because I built a new set of wheels on NOS hubs.

It's things like this that keep me running my "old" bike.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 02-17-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
It's things like this that keep me running my "old" bike.
I glance at threads here and there in the "General" section where guys are complaining about the new wheel bearings. Apparently they are made from paper mache or oatmeal or something.

I wonder how the MoCo set the bearings on our old bikes. Did they have a guy who's job it was to individually hand-clearance each wheel? Very time-consuming stuff. I can see from a manufacturing perspective how just pressing in a sealed bearing would save a lot of time and money. Even if they didn't hand-clearance each wheel (and just relied on keeping the parts' tolerance in spec) assembling the old style wheel would take quite a bit longer than the new style.

But from an engineering and long term durability perspective, I love these tapered roller bearings.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I glance at threads here and there in the "General" section where guys are complaining about the new wheel bearings. Apparently they are made from paper mache or oatmeal or something.

I wonder how the MoCo set the bearings on our old bikes. Did they have a guy who's job it was to individually hand-clearance each wheel? Very time-consuming stuff. I can see from a manufacturing perspective how just pressing in a sealed bearing would save a lot of time and money. Even if they didn't hand-clearance each wheel (and just relied on keeping the parts' tolerance in spec) assembling the old style wheel would take quite a bit longer than the new style.

But from an engineering and long term durability perspective, I love these tapered roller bearings.
I think the problem is that the Chinese are packing the sealed bearings with Skippy "chunk style" instead of grease.

As far as setup, as I recall, the parts book had something like three different lengths of spacers that were designed to get the bearing clearance in the "ballpark". Then, too, back then, the tolerance for clearance was much looser. I think my old service manual calls for something like ".004 to .011" clearance. The tighter spec came along sometime after '94 IIRC. I'm at work, so I can't check for sure.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I think the problem is that the Chinese are packing the sealed bearings with Skippy "chunk style" instead of grease.

As far as setup, as I recall, the parts book had something like three different lengths of spacers that were designed to get the bearing clearance in the "ballpark". Then, too, back then, the tolerance for clearance was much looser. I think my old service manual calls for something like ".004 to .011". The tighter spec came along sometime after '94 IIRC.
Not sure if the FSM was updated, but mine says 2 to 6 thou.

Quick Reply: Tapered wheel bearings clearance