EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Progressive 422's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts
Default Progressive 422's

Last week I installed a set of Progressive 422 shocks on my '93 FLSTC. The preload is set on the softest adjustment and the ride height is set at the same length as the stock shocks yet it feels like the back of the bike is a little higher now then it was with old shocks and the ride is a lot stiffer. I basically have two questions :

If I set the ride height adjustment so that the shock is longer, that lowers the rear of the bike, correct?

Also, is there some kind of break in for the shock where they will ride a little softer. I already have them adjusted as soft as they will go.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Last week I installed a set of Progressive 422 shocks on my '93 FLSTC. The preload is set on the softest adjustment and the ride height is set at the same length as the stock shocks yet it feels like the back of the bike is a little higher now then it was with old shocks and the ride is a lot stiffer. I basically have two questions :

If I set the ride height adjustment so that the shock is longer, that lowers the rear of the bike, correct?

Also, is there some kind of break in for the shock where they will ride a little softer. I already have them adjusted as soft as they will go.
Yes the longer the shock the shorter the bike.
As for preload they should come set at the lowest setting from Progressive.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

Since your old shocks were 25 years old, the new shocks should be stiffer. They will soften up with use in my experience.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

My experience with progressives is that they break in nicely around 500mi. I'm really light and actually had to turn up the preload.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

500 miles for new shocks to bed in seems to be a widely applicable rule of thumb. Should only take a weekend.....

Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

They are a lot stiffer than brand new oem's... I sent mine back cause I thought there was a problem with them, they were way to stiff and they said that there was nothing wrong. So I put them back in. Set them to the stock ride height and dealt with it till they got softer. It was good with my ol lady on the back but real stiff solo..... They are what I guess one would call a firm feel...

Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I have about 250 miles on my 422s on a 92 FLSTC. They were extremely stiff when I first got them. They have softened some. A little more would be okay. But the bike handles a lot better. I also replaced the front springs. I really like the way it rides. But it is a firm ride.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I'm running 422s on my Softail and I think they're just fine for my 155 lb. weight.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Ensign Suder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man

Keep in mind that your old shocks weren't really doing what they were supposed to do - keep your rear tire on the road. Granted, they were a softer ride, but thats most likely because they were worn out. Ever see an old car with worn out shocks go down the road? They float and bounce. That was your bike. The ride will be somewhat stiffer than you're used to, but its what its supposed to be now. Handling should be markedly improved, and the bike will be much safer.

Last edited by Ensign Suder; 04-03-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ensign Suder
Keep in mind that your old shocks weren't really doing what they were supposed to do - keep your rear tire on the road. Granted, they were a softer ride, but thats most likely because they were worn out. Ever see an old car with worn out shocks go down the road? They float and bounce. That was your bike. The ride will be somewhat stiffer than you're used to, but its what its supposed to be now. Handling should be markedly improved, and the bike will be much safer.
Look at the date of the last reply to this thread.

Quick Reply: Progressive 422's