johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

CLR works in my shop

Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I poured a small amount of rubbing alcohol in the lamp then swished it around and dumped it out, came out crystal clear

Old 03-26-2017, 09:01 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
I poured a small amount of rubbing alcohol in the lamp then swished it around and dumped it out, came out crystal clear
Did you drink it afterwards?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 AM
98FLHP
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah like I said, I tried rubbing alcohol and streaks are still there. Bike is new to me, runs a regular h4 headlight bulb. It's gonna take something stronger than 409, cause I tried that today. Fk buyin a new one. I'll run it with the streaks if I can't get em out. Maybe the CLR somebody mentioned, or paint thinner, or gas, lol.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM
98FLHP
Cruiser

Got tired of messing with trying to get the streaks out of the stock plastic headlight housing. I tried everything I had in the house and nothing worked. Did some research on the cheap LED lights on ebay, also looked at Trucklite, Daymaker, etc. The cheap LED lights all seem to have the same complaint. Bright as hell, but only straight ahead, no decent side angle light output for cornering. I sometimes ride at night in very dark places, so I need great cornering light.

I decided to give the glass housing E code headlights a look. The Hella was said to be good, but the Cibie was said by most to be better. I picked these up and will give em a try.

Cibie 82440 glass H4 light housing
Osram H4 Night Breaker 60/55

Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

That cibbie is a good choice. The nice thing about it is it has chrome reflecting panels on the inside and with the light refracting lense you still get good peripheral lighting. I'm gonna try the led replacement on mine. Currently have a 55/65 halogen.Will let you know how it works. Low beam is 12w and hi is 24w equivalent.

The following users liked this post:
98FLHP (04-25-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:44 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

When I got my '09, it did the same thing. I took the light off the bike, took out the 'bulb protector' and cut it off flush with the inside of the 'silver' side of the bulb.

Then, for the glass and the silver, I just squirted some windex inside it, used one of those microfiber towels to clean it with, used another microfivber towel to dry it with, put the thing back on the bike and it never fogged up on me again.

I use a H4 LED bulb now (just the bulb, not the fancy other LED stuff) on the '98 (and for the last two years I owned the '09) and the LED doesn't seem to cause this fogging up problem.

Be careful when wiping the silver side of the lens thouogh!! That stuff *WILL* come off if you rub too much or too hard and you'll have to get another lens.

By the way, the reason I hacksawed off that stupid 'bulb protector' mushroom is because all it does is hold heat from the stock halogen bulbs...heat kills things and/or makes them not last as long. The thing is absolutely useless IMHO. It also did actually give me a little more forward light too.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
It's so simple to clean if nobody has tried before. Crushed ice and denatured Alcohol. Put small ice chips in. Pour Denatured Alcohol in......shake not stirred !!!!! Lol. Only takes a few mins . Pour the mix out. Now simple hair drier to dry up and water bubbles . Been doing it this way since these lights came out. Do it every 9-10 months when I change tire,wheel bearings and brake pads.....simple maintenance .....The big plus? It f in feeeeee
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS OR ANYTHING U HAVE TO PUT INSIDE LIGHT. It will just do a half azzed job ( might scratch silver too) and u will want to toss lights.
Tried this over the weekend. It worked, but one caution. If you have hard water like I do, use distilled water for the crushed ice, or you'll end up with hard water spots inside the lamp.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by 98FLHP
Got tired of messing with trying to get the streaks out of the stock plastic headlight housing. I tried everything I had in the house and nothing worked. Did some research on the cheap LED lights on ebay, also looked at Trucklite, Daymaker, etc. The cheap LED lights all seem to have the same complaint. Bright as hell, but only straight ahead, no decent side angle light output for cornering. I sometimes ride at night in very dark places, so I need great cornering light.

I decided to give the glass housing E code headlights a look. The Hella was said to be good, but the Cibie was said by most to be better. I picked these up and will give em a try.

Cibie 82440 glass H4 light housing
Osram H4 Night Breaker 60/55
I bought the Cibie, but it's too big in diameter to fit the retaining ring on my Heritage.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser

Been riding my 96 King with the Cibie housing and Osram H4 bulb I mentioned above for a few weeks now. The combination throws out a nice bright low beam with a good wide pattern, plenty of cornering light, and high beam really throws the light down the road. The Osram bulb is stock wattage and of course has a more yellowish light compared to LED lights. Given the same H4 bulb wattage, the Cibie housing focuses the light better than the stock HD housing in my opinion. Overall I'm satisfied with the performance of the Cibie/Osram headlight combo.

The following users liked this post:
Kayakeur (07-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Crap inside headlight housing?