EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92 FLSTC front fork question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Sand850
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 92 FLSTC front fork question

Changing seals and moving along nicely all day. Even though fork on the right does not match what is shown in manual I put it together and got the spring loaded.

The fork on the left , which looks like the one in the manual is giving me fits. In the bottom of the Slider there is a small spring and what I think is a lower stop in there. It also appears to to me that it could be an integral part of the Slider and not meant to be removed. The manual does not show a spring and washer or cap in its diagram. Can one of you tell me which is way is correct.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Try this
http://www.docshd.com/OEMpartfinder....1992)//FRONT_F

From what I can tell you are saying the spring goes on the damper tube which then goes into the slider.

The cap goes onto the end of the damper after you put it through the slider.

Picts of the parts you are asking about would help.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Sand850
Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply. Can't take pics because the parts are in the Slider. I can't tell if in the past something broke off in there and was left by a mechanic. I need to get a visor with lights attached like you mentioned to Beemervet to see it.

What it feels like is a damper tube spring and a lower stop jammed down in there.

When I took it all apart, I accounted for all the parts and have the Damper Tube, the Damper Tube Spring and the Lower Stop.

The parts I'm referring to are not shown in the manual, the link your sent me, nor on Ronnies. These are extra. Nor are they shown or referred to in the info I have.

What I don't know is if this is a different fork set up, not stock or if I'm dealing with a previous mechanics screw up.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Sand850
Cruiser

Okay, maybe this will help a bit.

This is what I'm sending down the chrome slider followed by the larger spring.

Looking into the bottom of the slider from the end where the lower bushing goes, this is what I see.

Here is another view of the same thing.

What this appears to be is a pressed spacer with a spring and a stop behind it. Should a spring be there. Like I said earlier, The HD manual nor the parts list make mention of this.

Am I screwing up and should be putting the Lower Stop in at the bottom and not in the slider with the Damper Tube ?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sand850

Looking into the bottom of the slider from the end where the lower bushing goes, this is what I see.

Here is another view of the same thing.

What this appears to be is a pressed spacer with a spring and a stop behind it. Should a spring be there. Like I said earlier, The HD manual nor the parts list make mention of this.

Am I screwing up and should be putting the Lower Stop in at the bottom and not in the slider with the Damper Tube ?
If I under stand what you are talking about it's all part of the slider.
No need to mess with it.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Sand850
Cruiser

Ok thanks,

Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Fr34K5h0W
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have my forks apart now for chroming.....I understand exactly what your talking about. If you stick yer finger inside you can almost push up that spacer/washer thingy and it'll spring back...kind of. I left mine in there, might take a good look at it though and see if I can pull it out, don't want it to get screwed up or stuck from the chroming process.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Sand850

There should be a set of those parts in each fork slider. They are the damper tube, bottoming-out spring and 'lower stop', a silly name for a part which centres and secures the damper tube. A screw holds the tube and stop in place. All three are clearly shown in the parts website I looked at, being #40, #41 and #25 respectively. The retaining screw is #56.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,493 Likes on 4,611 Posts

The fork internals should both be the same.

Did you remove the slider bushings?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Sand850
Cruiser

Have learned a little bit more regarding what I'm seeing

Fr34k5hOW, do not try to remove these parts, you'll end up having to buy a replacement slider. What's not shown in the parts lists is a piece that is machine pressed into the bottom of the tube. Yes, there is a spring in there and also a piece shaped like a "crown nut" with 4 tabs on it. The "crown nut on mine had broken. Short story is I have to buy a new slider. $120.00 at MoCo. Would bring this to chroming companys attention. They may have a system that will protcct this area and still chrome your parts.

grbrown, you are correct on the parts you annotated however these are not the parts we are talking about. Thank you for your time and effort.

Dan89FLSTC, yep, removed and replaced slider bushings. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 92 FLSTC front fork question