EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Testdrove M8 streetglide: Not a tough decision!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,818 Likes on 1,761 Posts

My twin cam is a nice ride, after pumping some power in her, no more making plans to pass a car, handles nice with AlloyArt stabilizer, Ohlins and Avons.

The M8 , I'm not doing anything to it engine wise(except the external crankcase vent), runs pretty strong for a stocker, it being a Road Glide, it handles awesome, front feels tight and solid, rear (premium?)suspension is better than the air shocks, but still sucks, guess I'm spoiled.
The transmission on this bike really shifts well, rarely makes a sound dropping it into gear, I guess that scissor gear is doing something after all, although the hydraulic clutch is way different, grabbing towards the end of the lever travel and a short friction zone.
Generic, quiet, whirs along with that George Jetson sound.

I LOVE my EVO, although there's not much left of the original '90 running gear.
Loud, rude and crude.

Last edited by Schex; 04-20-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
M8... Generic, quiet, whirs along with that George Jetson sound.
Yeah, I notice the 'whirl' too. Different. Salesguy said it was the internal balancers. Sounded to me like an anemic supercharger.

Originally Posted by Schex3x
I LOVE my EVO... Loud, rude and crude.
Yep. Mine was considerably quieter when I rode it off the dealer's lot in 1993. The crude comment is spot on. My 5 speed has all the characteristics of a dump truck.

But I love it.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I still like my '94 FLSTN as much as ever. To me, it's the epitome of what a Harley-Davidson should be, and every ride puts a smile on my face. I'd keep it forever if I could.

That said, the old bike is over 23 years old, with 208,000 miles on it. Though I've done my best, I must acknowledge that nothing lasts forever. The bike has been in two accidents now, and some repair parts and OEM sheet metal parts are getting hard to come by. I've been lucky so far, in that I have been able to find what I needed, but it's getting tougher to source some things. As a result, I've become a bit more cautious about risking the old machine. It may be time to consider a newer bike to take some of the load off my old bike.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I still like my '94 FLSTN as much as ever. To me, it's the epitome of what a Harley-Davidson should be, and every ride puts a smile on my face. I'd keep it forever if I could.

That said, the old bike is over 23 years old, with 208,000 miles on it. Though I've done my best, I must acknowledge that nothing lasts forever. The bike has been in two accidents now, and some repair parts and OEM sheet metal parts are getting hard to come by. I've been lucky so far, in that I have been able to find what I needed, but it's getting tougher to source some things. As a result, I've become a bit more cautious about risking the old machine. It may be time to consider a newer bike to take some of the load off my old bike.
Lots of low-mile Evos still out there, just waiting for the right guy to take them home!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Sstrickstein
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ride a 1999 Fatboy. It's got a thunderheader, screaming Eagle ignition box and air cleaner. Stock other than that. Bought it a
Few months ago with 15000 miles on it to replace a VRod with no personality. Now I fire up and thunder off remembering the good old days with my 1990 FXRT and my 1982 FXS shovelhead lowrider. I rented a 2017 street glide a few weeks back. It's nice but I too found it to be a bit soulless. I know it's much more refined and powerful than my Fatboy, but no where near that of the VRod. If I wanted power I'd still have the 9000 RPm rush of the VRod. The M8 has neither the character of the Evo or the power of the VRod. I do believe that I will enjoy my Evo.... unless I can find a clean Shovel.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice read guys!

Just about everyone I ride with has updated there scooters.

My best friend just showed up with his new Indian Roadmaster. He had it done up with motor mods and all the comforts. It is a torque monster. Pretty impressive.

But, the 97 Ultra Classic still gets its fair share of comments. I, like TD, keep her clean and shiny!

I like the ole girl! 👍😎🇺🇸

Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Lots of low-mile Evos still out there, just waiting for the right guy to take them home!
Well, if there's anyone who might get a half million miles out of an Evo Softail, it just might be me. And, I'm only an hour drive away from Hillside Cycles, so, there's that, too (even though I've never dealt with them).

The old bike still turns heads, still rides and looks as good as it ever did. The other day, some friends invited me to ride to Colorado with them this summer. I'm just not sure I'd trust such an old machine so far from home. Of course, it could be the old RIDER I don't trust.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 04-25-2017 at 08:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
0maha (04-25-2017), Hackd (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Well, if there's anyone who might get a half million miles out of an Evo Softail, it just might be me. And, I'm only an hour drive away from Hillside Cycles, so, there's that, too (even though I've never dealt with them).
LUCKY! Scott really seems like he knows his stuff, and he is very generous with his time.

The old bike still turns heads, still rides and looks as good as it ever did. The other day, some friends invited me to ride to Colorado with them this summer. I'm just not sure I'd trust such an old machine so far from home. Of course, it could be the old RIDER I don't trust.
If you decide to go and find yourself coming through this way, let me know and I'll buy you lunch (or breakfast, or beers, or whatever the time of day suggests...)

I don't have near the miles on my Evo as you do on yours, so it's sort of apples and oranges, but I'm heading out to Texas next month for the meetup and then out to tour Southern Utah in June. No hesitation at all. I'd ride that thing anywhere.

By the end of this season I'll probably have around 40k on her. Probably finally get around to putting in a cam and new lifters this winter. So far my motor has never been opened (AFAIK, anyway), and it runs like a top.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
By the end of this season I'll probably have around 40k on her. Probably finally get around to putting in a cam and new lifters this winter.
Your 1990 EVO has a 'better' cam in it than the later ones. IIRC, The MoCo changed the cam profile with the 1992 model year.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I owned a 2014 Street Glide for 20K miles. Some of Howard's Ohlins on the rear. 4 Speaker stereo w/ an amp. It was a nice bike. I sold it and bought a '91 Evo.

If I frequently rode long distances, say 150+ miles (that's a long ways for me these days) I'd probably never have gotten rid of the SG. The M8 if anything is another level of refinement beyond that.

To me the newer bikes are a little too 'refined'. Or, as Omaha says: They don't have 'it'. If your primary concern is turning out the miles (in the manner of a bus driver) you should probably consider one. But for everyday use, around town, to/from work, short weekend day-trips...the Evo is 'real'.

My M8 aspirations, if any, lay with a Softail Slim with an M8 in it...

Alan

Quick Reply: Testdrove M8 streetglide: Not a tough decision!