EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Testdrove M8 streetglide: Not a tough decision!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I think back to when I had a Suzuki DL-1000. That thing had gobs and gobs of "easy" power. It would run for hours at 100MPH+ and feel relaxed and comfortable the whole time.

But it was also buzzy and lifeless. Don't know how to describe it, other than saying it didn't have "it".

I didn't realize until a few years ago what I'd been missing. I'd ridden a few HD's here and there, but mostly around the block type stuff. When I finally got around to indulging a 30yo dream of having one, I was almost immediately hooked.

For many years, I'd see the HD enthusiasts with their "If you have one, no explanation is necessary, if you don't, no explanation is possible" tee shirts, and I always thought "What a load of crap". I was wrong.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,687 Likes on 852 Posts

Harley will continue to sell bikes because it is a Harley, they will keep up with world of gadgets, on board read outs and nuclear stereos.

I keep going back comparing us Evo riders with my Shovel buddies, they accept a Evo as grand fathered in but look a a Twinkie like a bunch of new born calves staring at a barn door. Here is the Evo riders not ready to leave what is known to them as a Harley when Harley is moving on with the next generation.

I'm with you guys and stuck on saddle bags shaking, loping idles and the X factor of a Evo engine, I still haven't accepted the fact when people ask me what year my bike is and they say it is a"old one" WTF

The following 2 users liked this post by 1997bagger:
Hackd (04-25-2017), Uncle G. (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,176 Likes on 6,218 Posts

To be honest, I am curious about what the M8 powered Heritage is going to be like when it comes out in a year or two. What changes will be made to the frame and suspension.

I love my Evo, but I am curious about other things.

From what I am reading, nearly all the M8 failures have something to do with oil in some way shape or form, which I find amusing, because sone of the resistance old guys like us have to new bikes usually involves preference for less electronics and carburetors being preferable to fuel injection. So when you have something basic like an oil system that is a problem on some new bikes, it just seems ironic that it is not bad computer part or something.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:38 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,176 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Omaha's bike has the L grind cam where as later models came with the N grind. The N grind is lame. The L grind isn't great, but is significantly better than the N grind.

Andrews shows the specs of the stock cans for ease of comparison to the various cans they offer.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...014-page13.pdf

Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Omaha's bike has the L grind cam where as later models came with the N grind. The N grind is lame. The L grind isn't great, but is significantly better than the N grind.

Andrews shows the specs of the stock cans for ease of comparison to the various cans they offer.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...014-page13.pdf
Much as I might like to, I wouldn't dare put in a hotter cam in my motor at this point. The extra lift would probably disturb the wear patterns in the valves, guides and lifter blocks. Valve guides and lifters would start running on portions of the valve stems and lifter blocks they're not accustomed to traversing. I probably will stick with the "N" cam until it's time to do the top end.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 04-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:19 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by factorybuilt
Nice read guys!

Just about everyone I ride with has updated there scooters.

My best friend just showed up with his new Indian Roadmaster. He had it done up with motor mods and all the comforts. It is a torque monster. Pretty impressive.

But, the 97 Ultra Classic still gets its fair share of comments. I, like TD, keep her clean and shiny!

I like the ole girl! 👍😎🇺🇸

And she's beautiful......

Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the end for me in my shop was 1999 when Harley copied the jap bike that copied the Harley And the throw away cookie cutter bikes became the norm

most Twinkie shops in my area are empty and they cant really fix anything if it does not have a din plug

I for one am glad I have had the privilege growing up on scoters in the era of points and generators - and it has filled my shop with the machines I grew up on seams like forever

I have and its only me in my shop - 2 - 40s indian chiefs - total chassis up restorations one chopper stroker knuckle resto almost ready to go home one knuckle motor resto and a pre was chassis up resto museum bike - 8 assorted panheads 48 to 65 - a few shovels the new bikes in the shop normally one 89 FXR and 3 sportys one is a 52 K resto

and I am a year behind and wont be taking any additional work on this year - I am glad they went to the twinkies actually its kept me from have a bigger shop