EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Testdrove M8 streetglide: Not a tough decision!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 AM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Testdrove M8 streetglide: Not a tough decision!

So, last weekend got the opportunity to testdrive the New line of Hd's touringbikes.
chose a streetglide and took her for a 2hour mixed ride.
currently ride a 97 fatboy which I'm confortably happy with. However, waz curious what the M8 hassle is about.
the test was a mixed succes.
​​​​​​immediatly the broad power of the M8 is there.
great bike, but no love felt...
great powerfull engine, nice design and bags and computerized stuff, abs and whatnot.
but there was a lot of mechanical engine noise. Gearbox wines on decel. Harder suspension.

overal my trusty evo is less noisy and has a lot more spirit. Less hp, but a lot more character! I see why People buy New bikes.. Won't be one of them tho..

Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by insp.clouseau
So, last weekend got the opportunity to testdrive the New line of Hd's touringbikes.
currently ride a 97 fatboy which I'm confortably happy with. However, waz curious what the M8 hassle is about.
great powerfull engine, nice design and bags and computerized stuff, abs and whatnot.
but there was a lot of mechanical engine noise. Gearbox wines on decel. Harder suspension.

overal my trusty evo is less noisy and has a lot more spirit. Less hp, but a lot more character! I see why People buy New bikes.. Won't be one of them tho..
That right there says it all for me...

Old 04-11-2017, 11:41 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

I kinda felt the same way about my 2015 Limited when I test rode it. I was looking for a reliable 2 up bike for riding with my wife, she wanted something newer. the 0.9% sold me on the deal. I've only got about 4k on the twin cam, but it is growing on me.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

but there was a lot of mechanical engine noise. Gearbox wines on decel.
Last trip to my local dealership, one of the salesmen fired up an M8 Tri-Glide for me. Yeah, powerful sounding engine. When he shut it off I asked him what all that whirling noise was. He told me The MoCo internally balanced the M8 and what I was hearing was the balancers whirling around.

Oh, I'd be riding something newer. If I hit the PowerBall. Married into money. Or just didn't give a crap about my credit rating.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I really don't know what "it" is, I just know my Evo has buckets and buckets full of "it".

I've had lots of bikes. I've ridden lots more. Until I got my first Evo a few years ago, I never had a bike that just "felt" as good.

It's not about speed. I've had vastly faster bikes. It's certainly not about handling or braking or any of that. My current Road Sofa is pretty weak on those fronts as well. (Although I'm surprised at how easy it is to putt around at low speed once you get the feel for it.)

There's just something about the traditional MoCo motor that has me hooked.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (04-19-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0maha
It's not about speed. I've had vastly faster bikes. It's certainly not about handling or braking or any of that. My current Road Sofa is pretty weak on those fronts as well. (Although I'm surprised at how easy it is to putt around at low speed once you get the feel for it.)

Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I really don't know what "it" is, I just know my Evo has buckets and buckets full of "it".

I've had lots of bikes. I've ridden lots more. Until I got my first Evo a few years ago, I never had a bike that just "felt" as good.

Well said.... There's just a soul to them..

Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

My 93 FLHS and I have been to a lot of place, and have a library of history. I'll never part with it. But would I consider a new bike? Yeah. The world moves on whether ya move with it or not.

'Modern things' I wish I could toss:

Computers (they are heroin)
Cell Phones (heroin plus meth)

And probably a few others that my Jim Beam Black state can't recall...

Old 04-11-2017, 03:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Having owned a new shovel it took me a long time to get to love my Evo. Jus' sayin'! The TC88 was fine for a few years, my Firebolts are just great....

Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

M8 is about 75 Hp. Way not worth the cash$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... Too much electronics and BS

Quick Reply: Testdrove M8 streetglide: Not a tough decision!