EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1984 FLHTC pushrods.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1984 FLHTC pushrods.

guys long story short. bad oil pump 3 years ago. I cut the old pushrods to remove the cam cover. I fix the pump, put it all back with new stock lifters and vthunder adjustable pushrods. got the lifter on the base(low) did my 18 flats. but it is very tight. I rotate the wheel but if feels like a bind. and I did let it bleed down. Now I got this bike used. and I think they had solid lifters. look at pic. do solid lifters use a different cam?

I never seen a clip like that.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by gnafin
guys long story short. bad oil pump 3 years ago. I cut the old pushrods to remove the cam cover. I fix the pump, put it all back with new stock lifters and vthunder adjustable pushrods. got the lifter on the base(low) did my 18 flats. but it is very tight. I rotate the wheel but if feels like a bind. and I did let it bleed down. Now I got this bike used. and I think they had solid lifters. look at pic. do solid lifters use a different cam?
No but you do use a different method on the adjustable pushrods than you use if you have hydraulic lifters.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

This post is a little hard to understand. Sounds like you had a bad pump three years ago, and now just fixing it? or you fixed it three years ago, and now doing something else that you need to get back into it.

No matter, I don't think your bike had solid lifters initially, because you would have cut adjustable PRs. So, with the binding issue. When you adjusted your PRs with cam lobe at base; waited for it to bleed down, were you able to spin the PRs freely? Are the 18 flats correct for your particular PRs?

You installed the oil pump on correctly right? Could be a number of things, so just step back and review your steps. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by gnafin
I think they had solid lifters.

I have never seen a true solid lifter for an EVO...but several company's make hydraulic lifters with "limiters" that make them act like solids at high RPM.

If you have a set of these you will need to get instructions from the manufacturer, as they adjust quite different than regular lifters.

True solid lifters have to be set with "lash" when cold...in hopes it will get to 0 lash when at operating temp.

My guess is you have "none of the above" since you had stock pushrods.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-19-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 PM
gnafin
Tourer

Ya, I am going to have to pull the cam cover and check things out. on the oil pump, just got to it this year. and when I did pull the pushrods they were adjustable, but I had to cut them as they were still to long. I did put in a set of stock lifters. so I am thinking I might have my mark on the cam wrong.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The lifter your curious about... push the center in, if you can it's hydraulic, if you can't push it down it's solid lifter.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:22 PM
gnafin
Tourer

ya, the lifter in the picture i cant push it in so i bet it was solid. i did just pull the cam cover and my timing marks are in the right place. guess i will try one more time. after i let it bleed down and i rotate the motor(with back wheel) how hard should it be to move when it is opening the valve?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It shouldn't feel that hard to rotate in forth or fifth gear with plugs out.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:32 PM
gnafin
Tourer

ok sorry been so long on this.( i am a field service tech, never home) but i did install new stock lifters and redid the adjustment, same thing. as far as the cam in this i don't know. and this is the very early EVo's 1984 the ones with the dry clutch. one thing what is the yellow mark on the gear?

what is the yellow mark for?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:26 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

My guess would be the color coding for the matching of the cam gear and pinion gear. Look on the cam gear, you will probably see a yellow dot on the face of the gear if it is the original. YD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 FLHTC pushrods.