EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Looking for a speedometer Road King 1998

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:43 PM
sps
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Hunt ebay. I find a lot of evo stuff on there.
I found only one offer for an incredible high price.

Originally Posted by im
The speedometers with the wires in the back like yours are known to sometimes develop a leak in the LCD screen.
The picture you show is with the bike OFF and NO power.
It is not the worse that i have seen.
It appears like the mileage in the odometer would still be readable.
Keep in mind that odometer mileage is stored in the speedometer and not in the engine computer.
I would continue to use it while i searched for a "parts" speedometer and then i would exchange the LCD screen only with great patience if it was still a concern.
To be clear the LCD is the same ONLY on speedometer of that ERA with the wires in the back.
Most speedometers sold of that era have the same LCD leak so make sure to clarify that LCD screen is clear.
I think they were made by Faria from what i have read during that time.
The LCD itself is not sold by anybody it seems.
So finding a used replacement LCD is one option.
The alternative is to change to the unit in 1999.
A new unit from 1999 is rather expensive if new and i think the part number is 67178-99A
The 1999 unit uses a plug instead of being direct wired like yours.
It would require purchase of an adapter wire harness and you would need to cut about 12 wires and then place deutsch terminals on wire ends to mate the plug.
There might be a newer more expensive wire harness from V-Twin for about $80-$90 USA dollars that might make things easier by making a connection under side cover but there are a few reports that some wires are crossed and you need to check continuity and placement before installation.
I have also researched the internet in the past and have found that a generic deutsch plug with pre-attached wires can be found but the wire colors would be random and not Harley specific.
Since the wires are random colored in the generic deutsch harness mentioned then location on plug would require identification with a continuity meter and a map of their required location and then there would be about 2 wires under the side cover that would need to be moved around to make that set-up work..
Then something simple like Posi-Lock connectors could be used to join bike wires to harness wires.
So you have a few options in wire harness with the V-Twin brand one probably being the easiest.
The 1999 unit would have to be ordered with preset mileage or you would need to study how to get odometer mileage correct if you get it used if that was a concern for you or your jurisdiction.
So a used 1999 unit and a new adapter wire harness from V-Twin might be the most cost effective solution but odometer would read whatever it has stored in it.
Many thanks for such a detailed analysis. Indeed, I have several options - to buy a used working speedometer from another bike, buy a used speedometer from a newer model (for example, 1999) or buy an LCD screen and try to replace it. The problem is that unfortunately, in my country there is very little availability of such spare parts. My electrician said that he would try to install a speedometer from the new model. As for the option to replace the LCD screen, the problem is that the speedometer casing is not collapsible. Chrome ring on top - rolled. It will be difficult or impossible to hide the traces of repair, and this is not acceptable for me. In addition, it may be possible to get moisture after such repairs. And finally, this screen will still need a place to buy something, most likely with another speedometer. For me, the mileage on the new speedometer is not important. I understand that it will be difficult to match a real run or it will be very expensive. Therefore it is not important for me. It is important that everything work. So after all, I want to either find my part number or find a newer model and try to install it. Of course the budget is also very important. I'm not ready to spend $ 300-500 on a speedometer. But the main problem in the absence of more offers on ebey. So I asked for help - find out where else you can buy. In the end, someone here, this thing can lie in the garage and gather dust.

PS As can see from the photo, when is turned on, nothing is visible on the screen.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a speedometer Road King 1998-img_9271.jpg   Looking for a speedometer Road King 1998-img_9270.jpg   Looking for a speedometer Road King 1998-img_9265.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM
sps
Novice

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
V-Twin makes replacements. Here's their website.
http://www.bikerpartsuperstore.com/d...k-speedometers

cannot open you link

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I got this.

The odometer on my 98 RKC was faded so bad I couldn't read it. I contacted the fine folks at HD headquarters and they found me an upgrade kit to replace the EVO speedo with the new twincam model. They then located several dealers who had the speedometer kit gathering dust on their shelves. I called one and we made a deal. I got it for $250. They retail for $500. The main reason I got mine half price was that it had 18k or so on the odometer. People order them then never pick it up. There is ONE speedometer upgrade kit that I know of in the US at an HD dealer with no mileage on the odometer. That guy knows it's worth a fortune and he wouldn't come off the price one dime. I learned math in 3rd grade so I bought one elsewhere.

These speedometers can only have the odometer set at the factory so you get what you get these days. It's a lot of wiring and took me a day to do it but it's not hard to do. Works good too.

carl
Your story with a happy end) If you know such dealer (speedometer with mileage) - I will be very grateful for the contact. But still I'm looking for used speedometer (not new one), as a cheaper alternative.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

The odometer LCD looks terrible in your picture.
I guess you have no idea of mileage at this time.
Looks like a used 1999 speedometer and an adapter harness will get you going for the least amount of money.
Note: Although your unit looks sealed..it can be opened..the top ring gets a little dimpled when re-installing but the rubber gasket hides it...it requires a lot of patience, Water entry could be a concern but it was a concern before anyways with fogging..it is not a real sealed unit...take a look at the bottom and see wires going into it and the top ring can be turned...i had an insect somehow get inside mine and i had to remove it.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

Have one in my possession, same number on the back except 97 at the end. LCD was good when removed. Only reason it was removed was to have a tachometer.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 01-26-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:41 AM
sps
Novice

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Have one in my possession, same number on the back except 97 at the end. LCD was good when removed. Only reason it was removed was to have a tachometer.
Did I understand correctly that you have one available? If you do not need it, I could buy it, what do you think?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,811 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Dakota Digital also makes complete speedometers that have many functions to them. Including a Tachometer, Volt meter gear shift indicator and a hole lot more. You might want to look them up..... www.Dakotadigital.com

[SIZE="1"]The all new MVX-2002 electronic instrumentation system offers a 140 MPH Speedometer, Tachometer with an adjustable shift point, odometer with dual resettable trip meters and a full complement of indicators to provide a complete information system.]

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-22-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:00 AM
sps
Novice

98hotrodfatboy I'm looking for the original, used. Old school.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by sps
Did I understand correctly that you have one available? If you do not need it, I could buy it, what do you think?
Yes I have one, is yours yours EFI or carb?

Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 AM
sps
Novice

Carb.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Does it matter?

Quick Reply: Looking for a speedometer Road King 1998