EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Engine rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Engine rebuild questions

I am starting to look into completely rebuilding my engine. I originally wanted to do the MOCO exchange but I don't think they offer that for the evo any longer? So I guess that is question 1. The other thing I am questioning is who can and will re-powder coat the engine cases. What I like about the MOCO is the numbers match. I eventually will yank the motor but for now I am trying to line up my options. I will be doing this one way or the other come the fall.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

You can check with your local dealer but I believe the MOCO discontinued the motor remanufacture program for the EVO.

AS for who can powdercoat your cases I'd look into local powder coaters as I have my heads and jugs at one now.

If they can do car wheels they can surely do cases.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:06 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

S&S offers a complete rebuild service. (Details here.)

That said, any full service Harley machine shop can do that sort of work. Unless something really out of the ordinary is going on, you'll keep your original cases so the numbers will still match.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
tar_snake (04-22-2017), tgaetto (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by tgaetto
I am starting to look into completely rebuilding my engine. I originally wanted to do the MOCO exchange but I don't think they offer that for the evo any longer? So I guess that is question 1. The other thing I am questioning is who can and will re-powder coat the engine cases. What I like about the MOCO is the numbers match. I eventually will yank the motor but for now I am trying to line up my options. I will be doing this one way or the other come the fall.
If you are looking for the reman program similar to what the MOCO offered, S&S does it. I believe it's better than what the MOCO reman offered, because S&S lets you keep your performance upgrades. Unless you are OK with a stock engine (don't know if yours is), I think you could have a nice engine built that has more performance than stock for what you will pay for a reman. All up to you. Someday, I'll have to make the choice myself. Keep us updated on what you decide.

From their site:

S&S Rebuild Program Features

Engines are rebuilt with Viola V-Twin® quality service parts
Full machine shop service for repairs and performance upgrades
30 day labor and 1 year parts warranty
You get the same engine back – keep your original VIN
Keep any performance upgrades you've made - if serviceable
If you want your used parts back, just pay the shipping costs

The following 2 users liked this post by daven9113:
tar_snake (04-22-2017), tgaetto (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

From the S&S's website already quoted

At this time S&S does not offer any cosmetic or finishing options. The S&S engine rebuilding program is for functional repair only.
What is wrong with yours that you are looking to rebuild the entire motor?

Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
What is wrong with yours that you are looking to rebuild the entire motor?
I'm a bit of a nut job, the powder coat is coming off in big chuncks so I want to recoat the entire engine. obviously while its apart I will fresh'n up the motor. Im putting it out there to find the options available. Call this research and development. I dont know that I'll get to it. Infact I have both bikes up for sale. I found a 96 BB in blue/yellow with extremely low miles that I'd like to buy.

Where ever it takes me- in the meantime I don't mind a project.

Last edited by tgaetto; 04-21-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm a bit of a nut job, the powder coat is coming off in big chuncks so I want to recoat the entire engine. obviously while its apart I will fresh'n up the motor. Im putting it out there to find the options available. Call this research and development. I dont know that I'll get to it. Infact I have both bikes up for sale. I found a 96 BB in blue/yellow with extremely low miles that I'd like to buy.

Where ever it takes me- in the meantime I don't mind a project.

So this is all for nothing. Maybe you could thank those who took the time to respondthinking you needed help.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
So this is all for nothing. Maybe you could thank those who took the time to respondthinking you needed help.
Lighten up, Francis
I notice you have been generous with your "Thanks" also.

The following users liked this post:
tgaetto (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

It's a good thread regardless of whether the OP decides to do this or not. I'm sure many of us are thinking about eventual rebuild/replace/ issues with high mileage bikes.

after all, we're not going out to buy a new Twinkie or M8 in a year or two, right?

carl

The following users liked this post:
tgaetto (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bingee
While I don't normally respond to negativity, I feel I need to point out a few things. I am asking the question for many reasons. I am blessed with mechanical hands and do all my own work. Knowledge is power, I will eventually use this information. I believe that is the point of the forum? Correct me if I am wrong but this is a great place to OBTAIN information. A byproduct of this forum for me has been making some long standing friendships both local and far. I have also learned to keep my opinions to myself when the words may be interpreted as offensive. After all we are talking about perspective.

For anyone who knows me and for those that don't, I have bought/sold many parts, loaned tools as well as borrowed from many people I have never met based on trust. I have come to rely on the general good nature and honesty found in/on this forum. So I say, I don't feel I need to thank anyone specific as my participation here is as giving as that of which I take. So I'd like to THANK YOU for the opportunity to validate my existence here, even though I practice taking the high road.

Last edited by tgaetto; 04-24-2017 at 04:04 PM.