EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts
Default Yay or Nay?

So I have the original factory saddle bags that quick mount onto the two posts at the chrome fender strut/support brackets. However, over the years the chrome on the struts have become scratched up from putting the bags on and off. The frame of the saddle bags is chrome steel and there is pretty much no way to avoid scratching the struts during install/removal. The frame of the bags has a metal lip that digs into the chrome if not really, really careful. Cant' find anything to put on that lip. Easy to scratch especially when the bags are packed and kind of heavy.

I have been looking for a way to 1) cover the scratches as the struts are in good shape otherwise, and 2) protect the struts from future scratches as I use my bags 3 or 4 times a year on trips and it seems every time I put them on or take them off (couple times a day when on a trip), it's really hard not to scratch the chrome. I also scored new old stock struts and don't want to mess them up. Not going to install them till I figure out how to protect them.

Had some reflectors stashed away and just came across them, so thought I would give them a try. So far its the best solution I have come up with to cover and protect. Wasn't to hard to heat a piece of pipe to melt/cut a hole for the strut bolt. The other thought was just some thick black plastic like the fender protector (seen on lower rear of back fender for the lock down **** on the saddle bags). I kind of like the reflector because the color matches my paint and it's a "reflector".

The reflector might look a little crooked, but that is because the strut has a taper to it. It starts out wide then tapers down the further back it goes, so no real way to get around that.

Anyways, opinions on how it looks? Other ideas? YD

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/19588762@N07/, on Flickr

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/19588762@N07/, on Flickr

Old 04-23-2017, 06:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Wear your patina with pride! The rest of your bike looks so good that a few marks from age and use are easily forgiven.

The following users liked this post:
blumi (05-01-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with Graham. But then again my bike needs paint, badly.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've repainted mine, but a lot of it still looks 'well used'!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:03 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Wear your patina with pride! The rest of your bike looks so good that a few marks from age and use are easily forgiven.
Hear, hear!

FWIW, my idea here is that "honest wear" looks good. I do what I can to keep my bike looking nice, but chips and scuffs and the like aren't avoidable if it's a runner.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM
row jimmie
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a pretty narrow glide!

Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Bike looks really good!

What about Velcro fabric tape on the edge of the saddle bag frame where it meets the strut? The fabric is soft and less likely to scratch.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

Thanks for the compliments.

I've owned it for 3 or 4 years now. It took awhile to get her cleaned up and back to it's current near original look. It had lots of live to ride stuff (not my style), solo mustang seat, some leaks, a tank ding, torn motor mount, and I never seen wheel bearings so pitted before. Came with lots of after market stuff like chrome grips, foot pegs, spark plug covers. The turn out exhaust was ready to fall off, and the carb was dyno-jetted way rich. It had more rattles than a pick up bed full of scrap metal. Also had an electrical issue that ended up being a turn signal module wire pinched and intermittent shorting out.

The paint looked like it was never waxed, engine paint needed lots of love, and the front forks clear coating was all pealing and yellowing. It has 36,000 on it now. She also has a patina, but she wears it well. As a bonus, the previous owner still had the original saddle bags and windscreen (it is the convertible). It runs well, and seems to be good fit for me.

I originally looked at the frame on the saddle bags and was thinking of some type of protector on the metal edge that contacts the strut. I tried some split rubber hose before I did the reflector, but the bends on the metal frame of the bags are tight and it would not stay put even with glue. I will try the Velcro and see how that works....great idea Tony. YD

Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

The reflector does not look bad, plus it kills two birds with one stone, scratch protection and will make you more visible from the side at night when you are bag less.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM
darylnj
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default dyna bags

hey YD theres a plastic bushing on the bag frame mounting hole
harley part number 90823-94 check it out

The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (04-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Yay or Nay?