EVO All Evo Model Discussion

S&S compression releases

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:02 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts
Default S&S compression releases

I was thinking about getting the V111 but when talking to S&S today I had concerns about the compression releases. They are in the top center of the heads and you have to remove the gas tank and rocker boxes to get to them. Kind of a pain to get to when they quit working. Looks like in the past 20 years S&S would have made this easier. Should call them depressing releases. Any thoughts on this?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

May be mistaken, but I think those are electronic ( solenoid actuated ) I think . Don't know anything about em, except if they go bad, and occasionally they do, as you stated tanks gotta come off. Bleed hole can clog up , time to time from carbon.
IMO, benefits outweigh the cons.
I put manual in my heads, but it's not a stroked motor, unfortunately.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Last edited by LowriderHarold; 04-25-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 856 Posts

Have thought about the same thing , haven't never heard complaints of failure but if your depending on them to start a big engine and the solenoid fails, it's chit out of luck or the dreaded starter clutch clank which is the worst sound in the world.

Have the manuals and not in that big of a hurry when riding to reach down and push the buttons, it doesn't always fire the first time and still not in that big of hurry to push them again but I could see if you had a stubborn starting big cube engine the electrics would be a plus

Old 04-25-2017, 08:21 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by LowriderHarold
May be mistaken, but I think those are electronic. Don't know anything about em, except if they go bad, and occasionally they do, as you stated tanks gotta come off.
I put manual in my heads, but it's not a stroked motor, unfortunately.

Ride Safe,
Harold
S&S has manual or electronic but both are center of heads. What ever happened to the CR being next to the spark plug where its easy to change out

Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
S&S has manual or electronic but both are center of heads. What ever happened to the CR being next to the spark plug where its easy to change out
How in the F%$#@ would you push down a comp release on a hot engine in the center of the head, I guess you would have thick calluses on your fingers from counting all of those $100 bills when buying a S&S or I'm just a *****.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Have thought about the same thing , haven't never heard complaints of failure but if your depending on them to start a big engine and the solenoid fails, it's chit out of luck or the dreaded starter clutch clank which is the worst sound in the world.

Have the manuals and not in that big of a hurry when riding to reach down and push the buttons, it doesn't always fire the first time and still not in that big of hurry to push them again but I could see if you had a stubborn starting big cube engine the electrics would be a plus
I would think the manual cr would be more dependable and no electronic solenoid to crap out.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain

If they put manual in the center of the head, how to you activate them.
Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
How in the F%$#@ would you push down a comp release on a hot engine in the center of the head, I guess you would have thick calluses on your fingers from counting all of those $100 bills when buying a S&S or I'm just a *****.
Manuals have a cable much like a choke cable.
Im not too happy about pulling the tank and rocker boxes to fix them. q23oiuhq347631b89et45m90breu90wrq

Last edited by aces&8s; 04-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain

Manuals have a cable much like a choke cable.
Ain't that some ****! I have the S&S performance heads, & S&S said comp releases couldn't be installed on em. They don't know me.
Had to put em on the pushrod side, but it can be done

Ride Safe,
Harold

The following users liked this post:
aces&8s (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

S&S has been putting the cr in the center of the heads for like 20 yrs now. I don't see why they cant do better than that. Who the heck wants to remove rocker boxes to fix CR??????????????????????????????

Quick Reply: S&S compression releases