EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 EFI fuel check valves

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 PM
mark681137
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 97 EFI fuel check valves

I have a 97 road king efi, it developed a fuel leak at the bottom of the gas tank. I replaced the o-rings going into the check valves, did not cure the problem.
My mechanic says I need the two check valves, problem. Local harley parts department says the parts are obsolete and unavailable from harley.
Anybody know an aftermarket supplier? or remedy?
Thanks!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,358 Posts

CAll Ronnies and see if they can get them.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....NK%20W/%20PUMP

The following users liked this post:
mark681137 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

They might have to do a nation wide search. I bought a set a couple of 2 or 3 years ago from the local dealer. If you have original fuel lines look into replacing them with goodridge hoses. That might fix your problem without the new check valves.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:04 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Are you sure that it the check valves that are leaking? Most often when there is a leak on an M&M EFI tank it is the lines that leak. They are press fitted, and have internal O-rings which go bad over time. The solution is to replace them with OEM lines, or there is an aftermaket set from Goodridge that is half teh cost. An added benefit on the Gooodridge lines it that the internal O-rings are serviceable.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Rather odd and very rare that the actual check valve would leak.
Even more rare that BOTH check valves would be damaged.
The only way i could think that could happen was if someone without experience damaged them during an incorrect tank removal or tank paint job.
As mentioned before the common issue is the leak at the external swivel of the fuel line.
Most time folks will have the wrong diagnosis and fail to notice the fuel line leak at the non-serviceable swivel locate just below the nut that screws into the tank.
The Goodridge branded HDFL005 lines are less than $160 delivered total or less if you do a google check and includes both fuel lines at that price.
The next common problem that happens is that people try to thread the hose into the tank with a wrench first instead of by hand.
The start angle of the threads is not as expected and people cross thread.
Thread it by hand as far as possible until almost seated and then use the wrench or the threads will get ugly.
If threads are ugly then you need to get a nail with a big flat head and work the threads from inside to outside to straighten the threads.
Basically you are straightening threads while pulling out with nail instead of pushing problem towards the valve.
Be ready for the fuel line clip at the throttle body that will go flying and disappear.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by im
The only way i could think that could happen was if someone without experience damaged them during an incorrect tank removal or tank paint job.
As mentioned before the common issue is the leak at the external swivel of the fuel line.
Most time folks will have the wrong diagnosis and fail to notice the fuel line leak at the non-serviceable swivel locate just below the nut that screws into the tank.
The Goodridge branded HDFL005 lines are less than $160 delivered total or less if you do a google check and includes both fuel lines at that price.
The next common problem that happens is that people try to thread the hose into the tank with a wrench first instead of by hand.
Thread it by hand as far as possible until almost seated and then use the wrench or the threads will get ugly.
If threads are ugly then you need to get a nail with a big flat head and work the threads from inside to outside to straighten the threads.
Basically you are straightening threads while pulling out with nail instead of pushing problem towards the valve.
Be ready for the fuel line clip at the throttle body that will go flying and disappear.

The infamous Jeezus Clips. OP, make sure you get a couple extra, and get new O-rings for the injectors too.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Paul Gagnon
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Are there any quick disconnect check valves that i could use with my 98 evo instead of replacing them with the OEM ones?

Old 04-26-2020, 10:03 PM
evotrike
Road Master
Received 470 Likes on 262 Posts

Or just get rid of all the leaks. See my "EFI fuel line fix" thread. 7000 miles with no problems. Just got tired of worrying about it.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:13 AM
Paul Gagnon
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evotrike
Or just get rid of all the leaks. See my "EFI fuel line fix" thread. 7000 miles with no problems. Just got tired of worrying about it.
That's the problem, i can't fix the leak. It's coming directly from the check valve. I've tried jb weld, epoxy, you name it and nothing. There has to be an oem alternative that i can use, like the quick disconnect ones the new models have right? Something I can get from home depot or something?

Old 04-27-2020, 07:45 AM
evotrike
Road Master
Received 470 Likes on 262 Posts

O- rings on the stub plugin to the check valve might work. If it's leaking around the threads at the tank,, fuel resistant pookie on threads. Leak at the top plugin is why I got rid of all that crap. Terrible design. If you want to stick with oem...$$ and good luck. Ken

Quick Reply: 97 EFI fuel check valves