EVO All Evo Model Discussion

96 King jiffy spring frame tab missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 AM
98FLHP
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 96 King jiffy spring frame tab missing

New to me 96 RK. PO had the frame end of the jiffy spring wired to the frame, the upper spring mount tab/stud on the frame is missing, broken off clean. Gotta figure out options.

Grab an older model spring tab that bolts to the jiffy mount, just not sure it will bolt on and/or give me the right tension on the stock spring.

Weld a bolt to the frame or drill hole and double nut a bolt to the frame. Weld or bolt a 90 degree tab to the frame.

Anybody deal with this? I can figure out a way, but more ideas wouldn't hurt.

A pic from the side showing where the mount on the frame is located relative to the lower left jiffy bracket mount bolt would help. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Are you sure that the end of the spring doesn't go to the front floor board bracket?

Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts
Old 04-28-2017, 11:54 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 3,312 Posts

Your gonna need a new bracket. #41
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....0JIFFY%20STAND

The bottom left part of the mount is for the spring. Yours must have broke. You could always weld on a pice of steel...

Old 04-28-2017, 12:38 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser

Here's what I have. The lower left hole on the jiffy mount has a bolt in it. The small hole in the frame is where the PO had a loop of heavy wire to hook the spring. Under the frame is where the spring attachment point used to be. I can fab up something, just wanted to see if anybody else solved it and how. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flhchaz
Are you sure that the end of the spring doesn't go to the front floor board bracket?
That bracket is too far forward, but thanks for the reply.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser

Thanks for the link. The OP in that thread had an Evo and an unresolved question, and shows a pic with a hole in the frame for attachment, but he said it was pulling itself out of the hole when deploying the jiffy stand.

The answering links and pics are for later models with different jiffy spring frame end attachment.

Last edited by 98FLHP; 04-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Yours is an EVO touring model frame.
I believe that model had a welded frame tab that broke as shown in the picture you provided.
The tab was welded at a diagonal (you can see remains) in picture and the spring was inserted into tab with the open end to inside/center of bike.
The hole in the tab stood about 1/4 inch away from frame.
The hole within the tab was just big enough for spring to fit into it.
It would seem that a large hole was drilled into the frame above and forward as an attempt to hold the spring hook. The cheap "fix" probably left kickstand loose when up and it would not seat correctly since it pulled spring very close to frame..No off set from frame as observed in original tab.
Just thinking here:
It is possible that a slot was cut into frame in the area during factoring building and flat stock inserted and then welded in order to make it extra strong.
At this time...if you can weld...then grinding the broken tab flush and welding some thick flat stock might be an option.
Placement at a diagonal as original spot...then new thick flat stock would be your new spring tab.
If you are going lay bike on its side to weld..make sure to disconnect/remove as much electrical as possible.
I do not like the size and placement of the drilled hole but i guess it lets you feel into the hole to see if the tab went into the tube..

Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser

Thanks for the info and ideas. Not sure what I'll do yet, giving it some thought. The area where the jiffy spring mounts is in front of where the frame tube curves up, it's flat bottom angle stock there so easy access behind it. Since its flat and access to both sides is easy, I'm considering grinding the remains of the old mount flat, drilling a hole, and threading a nylock nut 3/4 of the way down a 2" x 14/20 bolt. Insert the bolt through the frame with the head down. Put another nylock nut on the bolt from the backside.

The frame will then be sandwiched between the two locking nuts to hold the bolt securely. I would leave enough threads between the bolt head and the lower nut for the spring to ride/rotate on. I like the idea of using a bolt so the spring can rotate around it when the jiffy goes up/down, and if it ever breaks again, new bolt.

Here's the back view.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Here is a picture of mine, which is a 98 King. looks like a half washer welded to the frame

Attached Thumbnails 96 King jiffy spring frame tab missing-spring.jpg  

Quick Reply: 96 King jiffy spring frame tab missing