EVO All Evo Model Discussion

need help from the pros...bike wont start after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 PM
800screws
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah...its backfiring like hell....all the timing on the cam end is correct...
and no I didn't scribe a mark like a dumba$$...could that alone make it not fire? pushrods are stock and color coded, I marked all that down and took pictures. ill try your trick, thanks

yeah, I just had the cup off again double checking the cam marks...the cup has the little notch that goes on the cam end...

ok, tried it, no go, I swapped the plug wires both ways too........wiesco pistons with the arrows pointing the front of the motorcycle....the only other thing could be the pushrods...just like the cam timing, im 99.9% sure they are in the right spot, but there is that .1% chance they aren't....would that make it not start? really don't feel like tearing the tank and rocker covers off again....maybe ill just order some quick installs and hope that's it.

Last edited by 800screws; 04-28-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:00 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you double check the color codes on the pushrods that you have them in the right spots? They are different lengths.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 PM
800screws
Tourer

I haven't tore the rocker box covers off again yet. Are the order of the colors standard. I deleted my pics. Anyone have the color order?

Old 04-28-2017, 07:10 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 800screws
I haven't tore the rocker box covers off again yet. Are the order of the colors standard. I deleted my pics. Anyone have the color order?
I think you can see the color without tearing them down. Just move the pushrod covers up or down.

Attached Thumbnails need help from the pros...bike wont start after rebuild-photo908.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 PM
800screws
Tourer

Oh sweet ok. Thanks

im pretty sure that's the way they r installed but I'll double check

Old 04-29-2017, 06:43 AM
800screws
Tourer

Well. I figured it out. The pushrods aren't moving up and down! I did install new lifters. I soaked them over night. they are jims big rollers lifters. I'm going away this weekend so I'll have to attack it next week. Any ideas why they wouldn't go up and down? I thought the lifters weren't directional? I guess that's wrong?

Last edited by 800screws; 04-29-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

Well. I figured it out. The pushrods aren't moving up and down! I did install new lifters. I soaked them over night. they are jims big rollers lifters. I'm going away this weekend so I'll have to attack it next week. Any ideas why they wouldn't go up and down? I thought the lifters weren't directional? I guess that's wrong?
They're not directional..... I want to make sure I fully understand your last quote

"The pushrods aren't moving up and down!"

Are you sure that when you turn the motor over that the pushrods are not going up or down following the cam lobes?

When you put the EV3 in did you reuse your old cam gear and have it pressed on?

If this was the case it's possible that the cam gear spun on the cam throwing the timing way out.... If this did happen I don't think I would spin the motor anymore because the valve timing would be off as well and the last thing you want is piston/valve issues....

In the picture, is an original N grind cam. With the timing marks set as they would be in the motor note the rotor notch is at 3:30 ish. Is your in that same position?

Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

OK, you need to carefully review your PR install procedures. I know it's basic, but you got to step back a bit. When you installed the PRs, you did them on the cylinder that was TDC, meaning the lifter rollers were on the base of the cam lobe; and waited for the lifters to bleed down correct? Then only when you can SPIN the PRs, you can move onto the next set. There should be NO up/down movement of the PRs.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:57 AM
800screws
Tourer

Uh oh. I just dropped them in and buttoned everything up. The pushrods don't move up and down? Aren't they supposed to move up with the cam lobe? I'm confused. I have the push rod covers off. When I turn the wheel not one pushrod is moving.

The lifters arent directional then? U can put them in either way?

No w I'm really confused on what's going on.

I did match up the stock cam with the Andrews cam. When the marks r lines up the lopes match both cams. So that's right.

I def need some insight on how to fix this. I appreciate all the help

Old 04-29-2017, 03:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Right now I can only think of two things that would cause this.
1) pinion gear isn't turning cam gear or
2) pushrods aren't correctly positioned on the rocker arms.

Quick Reply: need help from the pros...bike wont start after rebuild