EVO All Evo Model Discussion

need help from the pros...bike wont start after rebuild

Old 04-29-2017, 03:15 PM
800screws
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Right now I can only think of two things that would cause this.
1) pinion gear isn't turning cam gear or
2) pushrods aren't correctly positioned on the rocker arms.

cam is turning. Cause I watched it when I checked timing. I gotta pull the cam cover off again and see what's going on with the pushrods. I thought the push rods where on the rocker arms. I'm thinking something is up with the lifters getting oil? I think. Gonna be a few days before I can tear into it

Old 04-29-2017, 03:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 800screws
cam is turning. Cause I watched it when I checked timing. I gotta pull the cam cover off again and see what's going on with the pushrods. I thought the push rods where on the rocker arms. I'm thinking something is up with the lifters getting oil? I think. Gonna be a few days before I can tear into it
You did put the pushrods in the cupped ends of the rocker arms right?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:39 PM
800screws
Tourer

You did put the pushrods in the cupped ends of the rocker arms right?

yeah. But I imagine I'd see them move while turning the engine over. Something at least.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

yeah. But I imagine I'd see them move while turning the engine over. Something at least.
You should.

Cam lobes push on the lifters which push on the pushrods which push on the rocker arms to open the valves.
The valve springs provide the pressure the other way to close the valves and keep the lifters on the heal of cam.

If your pushrods aren't moving then something at one end or the other isn't right.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:54 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Couple things. Did you install the lifters with the roller side down against the cam you said you didn't know they were directional but I assume you put them in roller side to cam right? Are you sure you lined the pinion mark to the cam mark and that you didn't just line up the cam and breather timing marks? I remember when I did mine it was really hard to see the pinion mark I actually posted on here I didn't have one before someone here helped me find it

Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Most interesting thread in a while here... can't wait to hear the problem !!! Here's my two cents... if the cam is spinning, lifters in place properly, rods installed properly, it's virtually impossible for the rods not to move, even if the lifters have no oil. Is this theory even possible... what IF the rods were not seated in the cup of rockers and got pushed up past it and got wedged up ? Don't recall if there is actually room for this to happen. Are the lifters the right ones for your bike ? Sure seems like there is no gear on the cam or it is loose fitting.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Well. I figured it out. The pushrods aren't moving up and down!
Can you describe this in more detail? Are you saying that when you turn the motor over none of the pushrods move at all? How did you test that?

Did you pull the lifter blocks when you did this? Did you verify that the new lifters move freely inside the lifter blocks? Even without the pushrods installed, the lifters should follow the cam from gravity pressure alone.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:48 PM
800screws
Tourer

Originally Posted by 0maha
Can you describe this in more detail? AOre you saying that when you turn the motor over none of the pushrods move at all? How did you test that?

Did you pull the lifter blocks when you did this? Did you verify that the new lifters move freely inside the lifter blocks? Even without the pushrods installed, the lifters should follow the cam from gravity pressure alone.
i can see the pushrods cause I moved the covers down to see them. Def both marks r lines up. I didn't really look in to see the lifters moving Kinda hard when I'm by the wheel. I'll get some one to help me to make sure. And the pushrods were in the rocker arms correctly when I installed them. I have no idea what's not right. I'll tear into it a little more this week.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

i can see the pushrods cause I moved the covers down to see them. Def both marks r lines up. I didn't really look in to see the lifters moving Kinda hard when I'm by the wheel. I'll get some one to help me to make sure. And the pushrods were in the rocker arms correctly when I installed them. I have no idea what's not right. I'll tear into it a little more this week.
If you take the plugs out and put the bike in 5th gear you should be able to move the rear tire with your left foot while watching the pushrods.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM
800screws
Tourer

If you take the plugs out and put the bike in 5th gear you should be able to move the rear tire with your left foot while watching the pushrods.

yeah that's how I've been doing it. I marked them with paint this time. They r moving which is good but still bad cause now I don't know what's the problem.

Im done with it for this weekend. I have no clue what to even look for after this realization

gonna have to drain the tank and take off the rocker covers now

Last edited by 800screws; 04-30-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help from the pros...bike wont start after rebuild