EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Westward trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Westward trip

I plan to make my trek to the west coast, starting next week. With Dallas being a hard starting point a week into it. Like I did last year with my Maine/Canada trip, I've got a pretty detailed plan laid out. However, I'm looking for a little feedback from you guys in the lower part of the country (Basically South of I-70). I've never really been out West of the Mississippi.. Wish I could make the Texas meet-up, but I'll be too far north and a bit pressed for time. The plan is basically Dallas-Albuquerque-San Ysidro-Las Vegas-4 corners monument- Brighton, Co.-St-Luis and back to Atl... Any advise on what to expect and possibly avoid? I'll be mostly camping, bringing extra water and fuel and trying to hit good sized cities each day in case I need anything. I guess weather is the largest variable and altitude plays a part I'm sure.. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Greg, sounds like a great trip - make sure you have plenty of life in your tyres!

The following users liked this post:
HGM (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

If you can, plan to camp right outside (south) of Monument Valley at Goulding's campsite. See view in pic. Very inexpensive with a store, showers, etc...

If they are updating the roads with fresh gravel and tar, take an alternate route!! It cost me a final belt and rear pulley last year going through Monument Valley (Indian Reservation area). An expensive lesson for sure. I've ridden through loose gravel, but sticky gravel is something else. I dug a lot of rocks from my bike when I fixed this. (see pic)

Attached Thumbnails Westward trip-20160610_061203-1-.jpg   Westward trip-20160612_084217-1-.jpg   Westward trip-20160615_140359-1-.jpg   Westward trip-20160615_140413-1-.jpg  
HGM (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:20 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

The first picture it pretty!! The rest of them suck!! Thanks for the heads up, its an alternate route for sure..

Old 05-08-2017, 01:52 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Take a couple of long sleeve cotton shirts preferable white. Almost melted down last year in mesquite, NZ 117 degrees... I was passing people wearing long sleeves and thinking what is wrong with these people. Come to find out they were much smarter than me. Every one says oh its a dry heat. It may be but I found out the hard way its still HEAT! Wish I would have done more research before I went. Rode for 2 week and that was really the only day we had an issue though. Once we got over toward flagstaff was much cooler....On a good note though from another guy who had not been further west than Dallas as well, you are in for some beautiful riding. Can't wait to get back out there some day. Enjoy!

HGM (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
Take a couple of long sleeve cotton shirts preferable white. Almost melted down last year in mesquite, NZ 117 degrees... I was passing people wearing long sleeves and thinking what is wrong with these people. Come to find out they were much smarter than me. Every one says oh its a dry heat. It may be but I found out the hard way its still HEAT! Wish I would have done more research before I went. Rode for 2 week and that was really the only day we had an issue though. Once we got over toward flagstaff was much cooler....On a good note though from another guy who had not been further west than Dallas as well, you are in for some beautiful riding. Can't wait to get back out there some day. Enjoy!
Good advice. AT LEAST a long sleeve white shirt. A jacket with limited venting is even better. Here's the science...

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

HGM (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by daven9113
If you can, plan to camp right outside (south) of Monument Valley at Goulding's campsite. See view in pic. Very inexpensive with a store, showers, etc...

If they are updating the roads with fresh gravel and tar, take an alternate route!! It cost me a final belt and rear pulley last year going through Monument Valley (Indian Reservation area). An expensive lesson for sure. I've ridden through loose gravel, but sticky gravel is something else. I dug a lot of rocks from my bike when I fixed this. (see pic)
Good grief, were there no hotels?!

I've had a wound in my belt like your first one near the centre, fortunately only the one. The belt lasted around 4k miles before it started showing signs of distress, so I replaced it.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

I made it to Winslow while the bike was getting the belt, cool place..
108F Maricopa Az

OK Corral, Tombstone Az
My 3rd corner acheived..
Counts Kustoms in Vegas
Utah, headding to Salt Lake for some relief from the heat.
Found snow, was about 35F when i woke up in Wy. Still chilly, but a pretty day trting to stay ahead of the rain.
Rain catching up, near Ft Collins, Co.
The belt made my alter my original route, but it was still a nice trip.. lots of beautiful scenery out there...
Well, the belt pic may have jinx'd me.......... About 30mi outside Albuquerque, mine let go......... Long story short, I had a trans leak, fixed it, but didnt replace the belt a few months back... Anyhow, just a heads up, change your belt if it becomes oil soaked!!!! They dont like it much, mine showed quite a few cracks after I picked it up off the road.... Thanks to a good Samaritan and the local dealer, I was back on the road the following morning..

Overall, the trip was 5700mi through 21 states, including the SW corner in San Ysidro.. I cant find or justify the time to do the official 4 corners run, but this has been fun so far.. Hopefully Washington will be next year. Also, as mentioned, the desert is rough.... My suggestion to anyone heading that way in the 108F range, make your riding plans to get through it before 10am or at night.. Some pretty scenery, but, hugging an air cooled engine in 100+ temps isn't the brightest thing I've done.. I'll get a few pics up later, again, thanks for the advice!!

Last edited by HGM; 06-06-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 06-06-2017, 10:34 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Glad you were able to get your belt sorted out on the road. Looking forward to the pics.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

It looks like you had a heck of a nice trip Greg!

Quick Reply: Westward trip