EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Inspection fail question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by g1625s
The closest hd dealer is southern tier harley. They are not particularly friendly towards older machines. Having said that, they did inspect it last year while it was strapped to the trailer. Tires, tail lights and let it fly. I avoided them today just because of the vibe I get when i go there. guess maybe I should have sucked it up. So i went to a metric dealer that i've done business with in the past and now here i sit.
I've been dealing with Southern Tier HD for 29 years and never got a bad "vibe" from them. They still work on my old bike. To be sure, I bought it from them, but that was 23 years ago. Maybe it's because I've been a steady customer for tires and oil, I don't know.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:21 AM
Derek_96
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Go up to SSR. I know they're a victory and Polaris dealer but they are great friendly people. I just bought tires there mounted and balanced for $110 less than STHD wanted. Only things that store is good for for like us are oil filters. Good luck

Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Yep u got a di ck. Wipe everything nice and clean. Next inspection station. No HD dealers

Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Donald Mazz Derby
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are going to go in there anyway Progressive monotubes are a nice setup and use less oil in the forks. 320-380 depending on where you buy them.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 AM
g1625s
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dragging this one up for an update. Cleaned the area in question and put some miles on the bike, no leaking forks, just residual grease from that zerk. Rode down to Southern Tier Harley and I have to say they treated me very well. Before I went down, I downloaded the New York State motorcycle inspection checklist, printed it out and inspected the bike myself just to be sure. Everything checked out and they passed it with flying colors. One of the employees had a nice screaming eagle road king, which I parked next to as I was leaving, so was he, and I jokingly said just my luck to park my old pile next to a beautiful ride like that to which he replied dude, if you're selling, I'm buying, you're bike is awesome! Weather he was sincere or not, made me proud of the old girl and I was glad to have a positive experience there, I'll definitely go back for any dealer related items I might need.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Glad to hear you passed. Don't apologize for having an old bike. I like my '03 better than any new bikes. I think the mid nineties was the height of Harley style.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

"mid ninetys was the height of harley style"--------AGREE

Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Yea, very proud of the Evo.... Nice to get that kind of respect also.... You going to Rhinebeck for the meet up?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Haven't had a bike inspection since around 1992 maybe,because I lived in RI back then,nothing for CT...

Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by g1625s
Dragging this one up for an update. Cleaned the area in question and put some miles on the bike, no leaking forks, just residual grease from that zerk. Rode down to Southern Tier Harley and I have to say they treated me very well. Before I went down, I downloaded the New York State motorcycle inspection checklist, printed it out and inspected the bike myself just to be sure. Everything checked out and they passed it with flying colors. One of the employees had a nice screaming eagle road king, which I parked next to as I was leaving, so was he, and I jokingly said just my luck to park my old pile next to a beautiful ride like that to which he replied dude, if you're selling, I'm buying, you're bike is awesome! Weather he was sincere or not, made me proud of the old girl and I was glad to have a positive experience there, I'll definitely go back for any dealer related items I might need.
They still like my old Evo down there. Matt, the service manager, has even been known to "borrow" my bike to teach the younger techs what a well-maintained Evo should be. Matt uncrated and set up that bike 24 years ago, and he still works on it once in a while.

Quick Reply: Inspection fail question