EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Inspection fail question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 AM
g1625s
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inspection fail question

So the local shop just failed me for what he said was a leaking fork seal. Clearly, some grease from the fitting on the steering bearing had migrated to that area between washing/riding, ect. No visible leaks or drips otherwise. I pointed that out but he handed me the fail paperwork and said have a nice day. That aside, it is an older machine so I'm thinking I should get in there for a closer look just as a matter of course and replace/upgrade now. I've already got some engine maintainence/upgrade items sitting on the shelf, and the weather hasn't exactly broken here in upstate new york yet, so I might as well dive in. I guess I'm looking for suggestions on parts for the forks and what I'll be getting into for disassembly. Thanks fellas!
greg

Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I've never heard of a leaking fork seal being grounds for failing NYS inspection. Where did you take it? I live near that area. All they've ever done to me is check the lights, tire treads and brake pads, and my bike is older than yours.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 AM
g1625s
Advanced

The closest hd dealer is southern tier harley. They are not particularly friendly towards older machines. Having said that, they did inspect it last year while it was strapped to the trailer. Tires, tail lights and let it fly. I avoided them today just because of the vibe I get when i go there. guess maybe I should have sucked it up. So i went to a metric dealer that i've done business with in the past and now here i sit.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by g1625s
So the local shop just failed me for what he said was a leaking fork seal. Clearly, some grease from the fitting on the steering bearing had migrated to that area between washing/riding, ect. No visible leaks or drips otherwise. I pointed that out but he handed me the fail paperwork and said have a nice day. That aside, it is an older machine so I'm thinking I should get in there for a closer look just as a matter of course and replace/upgrade now. I've already got some engine maintainence/upgrade items sitting on the shelf, and the weather hasn't exactly broken here in upstate new york yet, so I might as well dive in. I guess I'm looking for suggestions on parts for the forks and what I'll be getting into for disassembly. Thanks fellas!
greg
Not a super-big job. Most of the work is just getting the forks off the bike.

You can get a complete rebuild kit (like this one from Drag) for $30-ish.

IMHO, since getting the forks out is something of a PITA, replacing the slider bushings becomes a "may as well" thing as long as you are in there.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy a seal driver like this:

but that really isn't necessary. You can fake it with some pieces of plastic pipe and hose clamps.

Search YouTube for "rebuild harley forks" and you'll get a bunch of how-to videos. Watch a few, and you should be good to go.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:18 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Go to a different inspection station

Old 05-11-2017, 01:21 PM
g1625s
Advanced

Originally Posted by flhchaz
Go to a different inspection station

I think that's a good idea. Just helped my girl drop off her street glide at a dealer near ithaca yesterday, service manager seems very cool. Going to give him a hollar.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:24 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

In PA, I go private auto garages that are licensed to inspect bikes. Lights, Brakes, Tires and out the door.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Don't use a dealer for an older bike. I go to a small car garage that also does bike inspections. I pass and I don't even has a speedometer.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:38 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Just curious

Does NY issue a rejection slip when a vehicle fails?
In Tx they sometimes do and sometimes don't. Here if a rejection slip is issued you you can go back to said shop, they ck for the repair it failed for and issue a sticker.

There are time it's just easier to visit another shop.

There is legislation down here to stop Saftey Inspections.

WP

Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

No inspections where I live out in the country. Damn commie libs.
Always thought it was funny how a diesel can dump black smoke in the air all day long with no problem.

Quick Reply: Inspection fail question