EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1984 FXST won't roll in neutral...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Better than Christmas...I'll be watching.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Polack01
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shocks are out, now I can get at all the tranny and tranny plate mounting hardware.

I had a bad regulator, when I had the tranny rebuilt, so I decided that as long as they had the primary off, they could install a 3-phase charging system. This is, apparently, the ground from the regulator. Wedged into one of the tranny plate mounting holes, UNDER the washer. Why they didn't go to a motor mount, or at LEAST put it between a washer and the nut...

The tranny plate front mount bolts. Either cross-threaded, or they used nuts with the wrong thread pitch.

And it's out!

New and old, side by side.

I'm going to have to nip about 1/8" off the studs on the new tranny so they clear the shocks. And seeing as those two carriage bolts are fsck'd up, I went ahead and ordered a tranny mounting hardware kit. Whilst on THAT site, I stumbled across the 'All-*****' starter... Hmm, as long as I have it tore down this far, I might as well swap out that old Hitachi starter. That Hitachi generally works, but sometimes I wonder... Besides, now I don't have to worry about finding a place to mount the back brace.

Just got a bath...after sitting in the garage for about 10 years.

Looking at the difference in width of the two trannies, I REALLY hope my pipes will work with the new one! I have a set of 2 1/4" drag pipes that I put on in 1998-ish. They're not the best for performance - even with the anti-reversion cones and teeny-tiny baffles - but they sound freakin' awesome when you roll on the throttle! Again, looking around at the various parts sites, the quantity of pipes available for these old EVOs, ESPECIALLY with a kicker, is underwhelming...

More to come!

The following users liked this post:
Gordo-uk (07-11-2021)
Old 06-15-2017, 05:01 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Sweet !! But I don't see that exhaust working,but hopefully it does.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Polack01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Sweet !! But I don't see that exhaust working,but hopefully it does.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about...
That front pipe, in the picture, has a dimple in it from the OEM kicker.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

The added width if the trans will probably allow you to run a straight kicker arm.

I wasn't running that exhaust...but when I changed mine, all I had to do was dimple the back of the exhaust with a ball peen...couldn't see it once installed.

You will love that trans...it will be like you bought a new bike.

I believe I spotted what is wrong with you old trans...it can't possible have any oil in it...because the is none leaking out the mainshaft...lol

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 06-15-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:19 AM
Polack01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I believe I spotted what is wrong with you old trans...it can't possible have any oil in it...because the is none leaking out the mainshaft...lol
LoL! There wasn't any in that pic...
But later that day (I pulled it around 2am when I got home from work) after my nap, I went back out and it looked like it had been shot! A puddle of reddish, ATF looking oil had dripped out of the mainshaft!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

What do they recommend in your new gearbox to maintain a warranty ? Surely can't be atf,way too thin for a gearbox,hopefully that not what you had in the four banger.?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

What do they recommend in your new gearbox to maintain a warranty ? Surely can't be atf,way too thin for a gearbox,hopefully that not what you had in the four banger.?

Actually they started putting ATF in manual transmissions in the 80's on cars...I have worked on earthmoving equipment that has ATF in the planitary gear-sets...and for that matter never seen an automatic tramission that didn't have gears in it...ATF works fine in gearboxes...most people just have the "thicker is better" mindset when it comes to gearboxes... which is not true.

I still have a "Hot Rod" mag at home where they were trying ATF in a muncie 4 speed..and it worked fine.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 06-16-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Actually they started putting ATF in manual transmissions in the 80's on cars...I have worked on earthmoving equipment that has ATF in the planitary gear-sets...and for that matter never seen an automatic tramission that didn't have gears in it...ATF works fine in gearboxes...most people just have the "thicker is better" mindset when it comes to gearboxes... which is not true.

I still have a "Hot Rod" mag at home where they were trying ATF in a muncie 4 speed..and it worked fine.
Well it's still a lubricant,but they make gear oil for a reason,from new,compare the two trannies after 100 k miles,that's what would actually convince me which is better. I'm thinking thicker will run cooler,oil is really more of a coolant,when lubrication properties drop the temperature will rise. It's all good,I'm constantly corrected on the forums,I know what I know I believe what I believe haven't proved everything,wouldn't feed bad advice. To each there own.
What did they recommend to you when you bought yours,assuming you're running atf in yours but they must have a preference for warranty,unless I'm wrong about that too.

Last edited by glidein wide; 06-16-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:33 AM
Polack01
Intermediate

75W140 (non synthetic) is what Baker recommends for their transmissions.

It WASN'T ATF in the old 4-speed, but it DOES have a reddish tint to it. Maybe some kind of synthetic???
I just checked to invoice from the rebuild, and they have H-D 85W140 listed...

The following users liked this post:
glidein wide (06-17-2017)

Quick Reply: 1984 FXST won't roll in neutral...