EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need Advice on hopping up a '92 FXR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:58 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Wood W6 & a bump in compression is a great combination in a FXR.
Yep, this is the answer BUT since the heads are staying on put a EV27 in it. Woods W6 has a intake closing of 40 and the EV27 is 36 meaning it will build slightly more compression.

Supertrapp, older Propipe are good 2-1's, Roadrage works but if loud isn't in your blood then skip that one, Thunderheader is the best sounding pipe and adds some lower, seems like the older pipes still work best on a Evo because I think newer pipes are targeted to TC configurations.

The CV can stay with 100hp so the stock carb will work, Mikuni has quicker throttle response and the S&S is great at WOT.

Since Tex's hemorrhoids are flaring up and he is getting testy, adjustable push tubes are sometimes a key to tame the clacking of a EV27 or W6, setting lifter depth a .140 is needed instead of .100. If Tex comes in yelling at me, bite me in advance.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1997bagger:
Rsbenden (10-21-2019), seanl (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 05:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by seanl
Thanks, and yes this is all in the budget.

I checked out the EV27 specs on Andrews web site...appears to be a midrange cam, with the EV13 being more of a low end. With the light FXR + 2 Up I guess we still consider that 'not heavy' compared to an Evo powered Touring bike.
You're quite right about the EV13, but I rode several years with an EV27 in my Glide, even courted the lady who became Mrs B using it and she ain't no lightweight (damn - what have I said....). Either will be a good choice IMHO.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:42 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

I'll take the darn thing then you can get a bike with more power! :-D

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (11-14-2018)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Adjustable pushrods aren't gonna do a damn thing for performance!!!
Save yourself the $100 and stick with the stock pushrods.
Oh I know that, but I assumed the stock pushrods had to be cut out like on my 96 Twin Cam to avoid pulling the tank and rocker covers? Is that not the case on an Evo?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:06 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
I'll take the darn thing then you can get a bike with more power! :-D
I'll politely decline your generous offer...My brother has owned this bike since new and I am planning on being the next owner. Why do you think I'm here asking you guys for advice on best bolt-ons ;-)

Clean, unmolested 20K mile FXRs don't grow on trees, do they?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,682 Likes on 5,203 Posts

EVO. Clean up the heads , good cam. Carb work a good tune and ride. You will still have a good dam near bullet proof EVO. Start boring it and end up trashing the darn thing.
The above work really wakes an EVO up

Old 06-09-2017, 07:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Yep, this is the answer BUT since the heads are staying on put a EV27 in it. Woods W6 has a intake closing of 40 and the EV27 is 36 meaning it will build slightly more compression.

Supertrapp, older Propipe are good 2-1's, Roadrage works but if loud isn't in your blood then skip that one, Thunderheader is the best sounding pipe and adds some lower, seems like the older pipes still work best on a Evo because I think newer pipes are targeted to TC configurations.

The CV can stay with 100hp so the stock carb will work, Mikuni has quicker throttle response and the S&S is great at WOT.

Since Tex's hemorrhoids are flaring up and he is getting testy, adjustable push tubes are sometimes a key to tame the clacking of a EV27 or W6, setting lifter depth a .140 is needed instead of .100. If Tex comes in yelling at me, bite me in advance.
Are you channeling Traildog???
Anyhow you're safe as I just had supper!!!!!

Old 06-09-2017, 07:05 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Oh I know that, but I assumed the stock pushrods had to be cut out like on my 96 Twin Cam to avoid pulling the tank and rocker covers? Is that not the case on an Evo?

It is the case buy why spend $100 when as set of gaskets is way less???

I guess I'm just a cheap bastard....

Old 06-10-2017, 06:32 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

What I'm reading is that you don't want to remove the tanks and rocker covers,(but you should),so.....if you just want to cut out the push rods like you say,you need adjustable rods that will allow you to install them accordingly. Not all adjustable rods will,mine won't (s&s adjustable)...s&s quikies allow you to install them with the rocker assembly intact. Then cam,lifter and bearing can be swapped out with minor labor.
Nice bike btw,never noticed that dash style or rear fender on an fxr before...I like it.
GW

Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
What I'm reading is that you don't want to remove the tanks and rocker covers,(but you should),so.....if you just want to cut out the push rods like you say,you need adjustable rods that will allow you to install them accordingly. Not all adjustable rods will,mine won't (s&s adjustable)...s&s quikies allow you to install them with the rocker assembly intact. Then cam,lifter and bearing can be swapped out with minor labor.
Nice bike btw,never noticed that dash style or rear fender on an fxr before...I like it.
GW
Not true. I have the same S&S adjustable's and it can be done.. It takes a little finagling. Takes me about 2 hrs to do the swap....

And yea that dash looks like that off a Fatboy, 94 up.....

I think that the Ev13 would be a great cam in the lighter bike. Yes it hits lower but you stated you don't want to wind her out.....

Quick Reply: Need Advice on hopping up a '92 FXR