EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trouble with the front brakes after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Trouble with the front brakes after rebuild

I just rebuilt the front brakes (calipers and master cylinder) and bleeding the the brakes isn't going anywhere. No matter how I bleed them,the calipers aren't engaging and the master cylinder handle feels soft. I tried the old fashion way to bleed them and vacuum bleed them to no avail. Vacuum bleeding just pulls bubbles and old fashioned is barely putting out any fluid. Strange things is after trying a long time I get a lot of fluid in the can from bleeding but that's after a long period. Still the brakes aren't engaging. So what happened now?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Perseverance and patience! Bleeding brakes is a bl33ding nightmare sometimes - then on another day they can work like clockwork. You could pray to all your gods and seek divine guidance - or pop over to the Tech Brakes section, where there is a Sticky or two, which may help.

You could try clamping the lever against the grip overnight, to see if the fluid and gravity help you out. An alternative approach is to apply pressure to the reservoir, if you have the means of doing that, to drive the fluid through from above. Some vacuum tools can also provide pressure. I have a cap with a nozzle I added for mine.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

It took me around 3 days to fully bleed my front single brakes after putting a new longer line on. It takes forever doing it the old way. Sometimes I'll pre fill the calipers and the brake line and then bleed using the banjo bolts, kinda like a quad.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Bleeding the brakes seems like devils work. I can bleed my truck but the bike hasn't been easy

Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Don't know why, but the fronts on my FLHTC have always been a pain. The rear has always been a snap.

Maybe because the fronts are duals? Don't know.

In any case, I've given up on anything but the "tie off the lever and come back tomorrow" method. Hasn't let me down yet.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:38 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Try tapping the lines with your hand to free up any bubbles and then the caliper and master cyl banjo area lightly with a rubber mallet while bleeding. Might need a helper.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Joe bleed the shifter side caliper first then do the other side. When I did mine I zip tied the lever back and then vacuumed the bleeder valves at the caliper. Keep the front turned to the left so the master cylinder is almost level. Just make sure to keep an eye on the fluid level while you are doing this to keep it full of fluid.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:15 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
Vacuum bleeding just pulls bubbles and old fashioned is barely putting out any fluid.
Joe This causes me to want to ask. Do you have the lid on the reservoir while trying to Vac Bleeding? If so leave it off while using a vac. bleeder.

If pumping the lever the lid needs to be on to keep fluid from jumping outta the reservoir. Keep the bike covered up while pumping the lever.

You using Dot 5 I'm guessing?

Old 06-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WP50
Joe This causes me to want to ask. Do you have the lid on the reservoir while trying to Vac Bleeding? If so leave it off while using a vac. bleeder.

If pumping the lever the lid needs to be on to keep fluid from jumping outta the reservoir. Keep the bike covered up while pumping the lever.

You using Dot 5 I'm guessing?
Pumping with it off and pulling lever gently to keep the fluid from spilling. Yes it DOT 5. Also with vac bleeder I kept if off as well

Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 0maha
Don't know why, but the fronts on my FLHTC have always been a pain. The rear has always been a snap.

Maybe because the fronts are duals? Don't know.

In any case, I've given up on anything but the "tie off the lever and come back tomorrow" method. Hasn't let me down yet.
I believe its the same reason I have. Just be glad the brake system on a bike isnt the same as a truck where you have 1 reservoir for both front and back.

Quick Reply: Trouble with the front brakes after rebuild