EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Distracted Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
You gotta ride like you're invisible. And they know you are there, and they are trying to kill you.
Unfortunately, that's how I ride, I also do a little weave or wiggle with the bike to get some movement to the headlight when coming up on an intersection, or someone waiting to make a left turn in front of me, etc.

I think the little extra movement of the bike/headlight helps get their attention. So many drivers are brain washed and distracted to thinking they are only looking for another car that they see right through or past a bike. Does not even register in the brain. YD

Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 AM
dafrisco
Tourer

Received 161 Likes on 97 Posts

You have to always be on the defense while riding or driving. I learned over 20 years ago to observe what is going on in front, back and sides at all times. After awhile you can tell what the driver 3 or 4 cars ahead of you are going to do by watching them. Be aware and be safe.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
I also do a little weave or wiggle with the bike to get some movement to the headlight when coming up on an intersection, or someone waiting to make a left turn in front of me, etc.

I took to doing this some years ago. I occasionally get some funny looks but I know they saw me.

The friend that mentioned doing this was pulled over by LEO that he did it too. The Leo was sitting at a stop sign as the friend approached. The Leo wanted to know what H was he doing.
After he explained the officer didn't say much just handed his license back and commented "That does make some sense___ have good day Sir "

WP

Old 06-17-2017, 11:24 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by dafrisco
You have to always be on the defense while riding or driving. I learned over 20 years ago to observe what is going on in front, back and sides at all times. After awhile you can tell what the driver 3 or 4 cars ahead of you are going to do by watching them. Be aware and be safe.
Ya, I always try and have a plan when getting on a busy interstate and head is on a swivel.

Funny thing was also on the way home, sitting at a stop light in a up and coming Yuppi town, was going straight and the lady in a SUV across the street made sure she beat me to the intersection to turn left in front of me, was at the point to start throwing chit at cars.
Some of my older buddies in the day would of kicked drivers door in with situations like this, what defense in court I could use if I just shoot them was going thru my mind

Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Happens everyday on my ride home on I-95 construction zone a**holes with cell phones. Had one had her head out the window taking a selfie in 5 mph traffic with a tractor in front of her. Was hoping she ran to the truck. Didn't happen.

Like previous said ride like they don't see you. Be safe.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Yep today 2 cars where in front of me, the first made a quick stop to turn and the 2nd car had to emergency stop and I had even less time to stop. Just try to give yourself extra distance between a-holes. I mostly never go into the city specially work hour traffic. Seems like summer time is the worst.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Last fall a guy ran an intersection and was so close to taking me out. if i didn't throttle up he would have T-boned me for sure...I was so freakin pissed.... I've learned to be more aggressive than just a 100% defensive......

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 06-17-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
That`s precisely why I quit riding a couple of years ago, when a woman pulled a left turn in front of me. As I was getting up off the pavement (cracked ribs and road rash), her stupid statement of the year was, "Are you all right?"........
3 months ago I got a left turner too. Got 5 broken ribs, collar bone was broken, and my left lower leg was smashed and laying at a funny angle. First thing she said when she got out of her car was "Are you alright?" Instant rage hit me when she said that and if I hadn't have been in so much pain I'd have punched her in the face.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 😎

Glad your ok.👍
It's a jungle out there . Main reason I avoid the City like the plague.
Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 06-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Anthony Paul
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This crash happened right in front of me when I was in Florida on vacation. When I got home I looked it up on the web published news paper and found what I saw that day, so I saved this one. Never seen anything like this before. So much carnage!!!

Local News
334 3
Motorcyclists hurt in crash with car on I-75 in Sun City Center
TBO.com staff

Published: July 26, 2013
A motorist changing lanes lost control of her vehicle Friday morning on Interstate 75 in Sun City Center, leading to collisions involving three motorcyclists, troopers said.

Amani Z. Shehadah, 19, of North Port, was driving a 2009 Nissan Sentra north on I-75 in the outside lane, approaching College Avenue, just after 8 a.m.,troopers said.

Three Cape Coral men were operating Harley-Davidson motorcycles, one behind the other, in the northbound center lane, troopers said.

Shehadah attempted to change into the center lane when she observed the motorcycles, troopers said. In an attempt to avoid a collision, she steered away from the motorcycles but overcorrected and lost control, troopers said.

As a result, troopers said, the Nissan struck Harley-Davidsons driven by Ronald Sirios, 63, and Luigi DiIorio, 60, and another ridden by Juan Garcia, 61, hit the rear of the Nissan.

The Nissan continued into the center grass median and struck the median guardrail. The motorcycles overturned and stopped in the center grass median.

The motorcyclists were taken to Blake Medical Center in Bradenton. Sirios and DiIorio sustained serious injuries and Garcia had a minor injury, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report. Shehadah was not hurt, the report said.

Shehadah was ticketed for careless driving, the highway patrol said.
- See more at: http://www.tampatrib.com/news/motorc....Olv29ziH.dpuf

Last edited by Anthony Paul; 06-18-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Distracted Drivers