EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Distracted Drivers

Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts
Default Distracted Drivers

Live in the country, work in the city. Ride in the country with no fear except a deer, ride in the city and starting to consider it a death wish. Rode the White Bike to work yesterday and for the first time lost the riding loose feeling with multiple situations that could lead to bad situations.

Started off behind behind a car slowly veering off the road and a pedestrian had to scatter, can only assume cell phone. Interstate riding produced a Audi driving yuppi teen coming over on me in the right lane, I switched to the middle lane for let's try this reasons and had 2 camel riders gabbing and drifted partially into the center lane next to me, final bad deal was a 2 lane road sending a mom with a car load of kids coming into my lane head on in a 90 degree turn, could only go to the edge of the road and she finally seen me and swerved back.

Lost my will to ride for the first time, time will heal but dam what a ride home

Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Glad you were paying attention and avoided those idiots bagger!

Living in Metro Atlanta I know what you're talking about. People pulling out in front of you, riding your ***, coming over on you. I also had a pickup come around a curve in my lane about a month ago. Damned good thing I was paying attention.

Be safe!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

I understand completely. It was my friend's observation that every day he rode to work, someone tried to kill him.

I have noticed that some days are worse than others. I drive a 2 lane road to work to avoid the interstate under construction. When the dumb f's veer into my lane on a turn, I honk the horn at them. Some days are zero honks, some days are 3 or 4 honks. Fortunately, I'm in a big Lexus most of the time, so my survivability is high. I did lose the Elise on that road from a dumb f'ing kid in a Jeep. My thumb still hurts.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:18 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

This is what's left of a good friend's wife's car. Just happened on Wednesday. She's getting out of the hospital today. Broken pelvis (surgery), fractured ribs, brain bleed.

Some kid ran through a stop sign. Never even slowed down.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Yup,gotta ride like their all out to get us. Some actually are.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:37 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,204 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Live in the country, work in the city. Ride in the country with no fear except a deer, ride in the city and starting to consider it a death wish. Rode the White Bike to work yesterday and for the first time lost the riding loose feeling with multiple situations that could lead to bad situations.

Started off behind behind a car slowly veering off the road and a pedestrian had to scatter, can only assume cell phone. Interstate riding produced a Audi driving yuppi teen coming over on me in the right lane, I switched to the middle lane for let's try this reasons and had 2 camel riders gabbing and drifted partially into the center lane next to me, final bad deal was a 2 lane road sending a mom with a car load of kids coming into my lane head on in a 90 degree turn, could only go to the edge of the road and she finally seen me and swerved back.

Lost my will to ride for the first time, time will heal but dam what a ride home
That`s precisely why I quit riding a couple of years ago, when a woman pulled a left turn in front of me. As I was getting up off the pavement (cracked ribs and road rash), her stupid statement of the year was, "Are you all right?"........

Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

You gotta ride like you're invisible. And they know you are there, and they are trying to kill you.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,791 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Sorry to hear Bagger.......I fully understand being on the Island.. ******** everywhere. Can't wait to get back upstate.... Permanently.......

Old 06-17-2017, 08:57 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Yup,gotta ride like their all out to get us. Some actually are.
Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
You gotta ride like you're invisible. And they know you are there, and they are trying to kill you.
And here's a saying that sums it up nicely for me.

Don't ride like they can't see you, ride like they can see you and are actively trying to kill you.
Very true in my area which is why I try to stay to the back roads.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

glad to hear youre otherwise unscathed.

my buddy Lee *probably* lost his roadglide yesterday -- woman made an illegal left in front of him, damned near had the bike dead stopped....her back bumper caught his front wheel (literally in the last 4" of the car) -- ripped the bars out of his hand and tumbled him. luckily he jumped as it happened and cleared the bike and the car, and other than a bruised up shoulder and a couple scrapes, he's okay. cop's showed up and cited the woman for it, so it looks like insurance will be buying him a new ride, but damn it was close

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Distracted Drivers