EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 AM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil coolers

I was curious if an oil cooler lowers temps that much?
If so what is a good brand that would fit my 98 ultra?
How much extra oil does it hold or does that depend on the brand?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:23 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,258 Likes on 6,240 Posts

Oil coolers are only effective when you are moving, but if you are moving, you don't need them, especially on Evo. The exception to its effectiveness is if you get one that has a fan.

Jagg is a very good brand.

The reason I don't have one is it introduces more points of failure either in the form of potential leaks or a hose rupturing while you are riding.

There are plenty of people that will disagree with my opinion.

On an oil cooled M8, they are very necessary because oil circulates through cooling passageways in the head and around the exhaust valve in order to absorb some of the heat.

If you are having heat issues, make sure you aren't running too lean of an air fuel ratio. Free flowing air cleaner, exhaust, and retuning the carb will get you more power and lower temperatures. Some cams such as the Andrews EV13 can lower your temperature as well.

If I am stuck in a major traffic jam, I shut off for the engine and walk the bike forwards as traffic slowly advances.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:45 AM
timsmcm
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Oil coolers are only effective when you are moving, but if you are moving, you don't need them, especially on Evo. The exception to its effectiveness is if you get one that has a fan.

Jagg is a very good brand.

The reason I don't have one is it introduces more points of failure either in the form of potential leaks or a hose rupturing while you are riding.

There are plenty of people that will disagree with my opinion.

On an oil cooled M8, they are very necessary because oil circulates through cooling passageways in the head and around the exhaust valve in order to absorb some of the heat.

If you are having heat issues, make sure you aren't running too lean of an air fuel ratio. Free flowing air cleaner, exhaust, and retuning the carb will get you more power and lower temperatures. Some cams such as the Andrews EV13 can lower your temperature as well.

If I am stuck in a major traffic jam, I shut off for the engine and walk the bike forwards as traffic slowly advances.
Rubbish.
If you have an evo and live in the south and you ride in the summer you need an oil cooler. 85 softail evo with the harley cooler and bra. It's been on there since 85 1/2. No leaks no problems. Just way cooler motor.

The following users liked this post:
jmjftw (09-23-2023)
Old 06-30-2017, 08:52 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by timsmcm
Rubbish.
If you have an evo and live in the south and you ride in the summer you need an oil cooler. 85 softail evo with the harley cooler and bra. It's been on there since 85 1/2. No leaks no problems. Just way cooler motor.
Totally agree. Firm believer on a oil cooler. Always used one even on my old shovels & panheads.
Jagg is the brand I use with no problems.
If you live in a hot climate, oil cooler is a must.

Ride Safe,
Harold

The following users liked this post:
jmjftw (09-23-2023)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,331 Likes on 5,426 Posts

Originally Posted by timsmcm
Rubbish.

84 Softail...live in the south...never seen the motor over 190 on a 100 degree day, according to my trustly HD tempature dipstick...properly tuned EVOs don't run hot.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Jagg or Lockhart. Either get one with a built in thermostat or get the separate thermostat. I think the HD factory one was a Lockhart.

On my bike, before I put the cooler on it, I would see oil temps (sender in the bottom of the bag) sometimes of around 220-230F. After the cooler with the 180F thermostat, it never got over 180.

Now, that's with riding across Texas, across I90 in August, through Phoenix, Los Vegas, etc. If you are only riding around San Fran, you don't need one.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:36 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 853 Posts

Have a Jagg 10 row on the big block, calmed it's heat down and tune is on the rich side, it was a heat monster before the cooler. 10.2-1 compression 89" temps was fine without a cooler and heat was never a concern for years

Old 07-01-2017, 07:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by WindowMan
I was curious if an oil cooler lowers temps that much?
If so what is a good brand that would fit my 98 ultra?
How much extra oil does it hold or does that depend on the brand?
I've only owned one bike with an oil cooler, a BSA Rocket 3, way back. We had real winters back then and I rode year round, including sub-freezing conditions.

An oil cooler can cool the engine too much, so as suggested above, get one with a thermostat. At a rough guess an oil cooler will add a mug-full or so to the system., much of it in the oil pipes to and from it. I always drained mine at oil change time, although it didn't actually hold much, compared with the oil tank.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:40 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

S&S told me they like there engine temp about 190* F. Warned me of too cool of temp and said I don't need a cooler if Im not in traffic. Said to get the thermostat if I got one.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

100$ shipped to your door with thermostat
209 5563429

Last edited by brad75raiders; 07-02-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Oil coolers