The following users liked this post:
dports70 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,698 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
U could replace cam cover bushings, pinion gear, they don't last forever
The bushings are soft brass and last a very long time. They also won't fail catastrophically and shed particles of hardened tool steel into the motor like a needle bearing will.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
The bushings are soft brass and last a very long time. They also won't fail catastrophically and shed particles of hardened tool steel into the motor like a needle bearing will.
That makes cents,

Old 07-08-2017, 12:29 AM
cowboyshovel79
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Durham man
I put 400$ s and s premium lifters in my wide glide are they worth it probably not but they are very quiet, I kept the stockers in the Fxr but do plan on going back in, easy access with adjustable push rods. Will probably go with s and s, some do small block Chevy lifters 20 bucks apiece. How about jims, woods, Andrews, all kinds of choices
Small block chevy? Really I always thought that was a joke when it was said

Old 07-08-2017, 04:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Want a real nice boost in power?
Wiseco 10.0 pistons
Install a 1.900" intake valve, with a GOOD valve job/head clean up.
Wood 6 cam
At 10.0 cr, you'll see 80-85 hp, and/near 90 ft/lbs.
S&S lifters, and pushrods.
And yes, a new Torrington cam bearing.
Combination that we have built since the mid 1990's.
Mid-upper 40's to 50 mpg.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
dports70 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

I bought my Fxr over the past winter, it is amazing to me how a 92 Fxr stayed all stock all these years ran great but had a lot of gear whine ( go back to my first post new Evo owner) was worried that it was Ina bearing ready to go, read a lot about when Harley switched to Ina in 92 but nothing was clear . Went in and it had stock n cam and Torrington, that's all I wanted to know. I put back in a mild Andrews 23 with steel breather with 55 shim, the bike has less gear whine, did this as temporary. Base gaskets weep so I am going to have it redone. Scotts set up sounds tempting, I will tell him to hold the bearing, take it easy just kidding. This was my first motorcycle cam job and all the things I read said replace Ina to Torrington, never saw replace Torrington to Torrington ! Next time it will be replaced, but I am still gonna ride it like I stole it!!! The Chevy lifter thing was me saying u can spend 20$ a lifter to 100$, I never used them but I know some that have, and yes they were in twin cams!!

dports70 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Sounds like the EV13 or a Vthunder is a perfect fit for your riding style. Had 2 of 4 Harley B's collapse in the 89" from abuse by a Woods W6H and tried a set of Ultima's for under $100 which took the abuse without failure. It was my understanding that Johnson made the lifters for Ultima so give a nod to Johnson's. Put S&S lifters in the big block when changing to the S&S cam but hard to swallow $250 when the factory Ultima's was holding holding up with a 640 cam range.

Cam bearing replacement, have you ever seen the case damage if you don't catch a failure in progress. If you wasn't good at the kids game "Operation" you are going to struggle getting the bearings out of the bottom of the engine case if you do catch the failure. Metal thru the oil pump which is replacement, possible cylinder wall damage from metal and in a bagger you need to pull the oil pan off the bottom of the trans which is harder than putting a wet noodle in a wildcats *** to clean the metal out of it. Spend $8 or google wildcat to make your decision for you.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 07-08-2017 at 08:41 AM.
dports70 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:32 AM
dports70
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Wiseco 10.0 pistons
Wood 6 cam
Scott
this is a little more then ill need, dont need fast, just need a little more torque to haul my fat *** up the hills, my speed days are long over. ive been looking at the w6 cam also but heard its loud in the evo. these things are loud enough for me..

1997bagger Sounds like the EV13 or a Vthunder is a perfect fit for your riding style. Had 2 of 4 Harley B's collapse in the 89" from abuse by a Woods W6H and tried a set of Ultima's for under $100 which took the abuse without failure. It was my understanding that Johnson made the lifters for Ultima so give a nod to Johnson's. Put S&S lifters in the big block when changing to the S&S cam but hard to swallow $250 when the factory Ultima's was holding holding up with a 640 cam range.

Cam bearing replacement, have you ever seen the case damage if you don't catch a failure in progress. If you wasn't good at the kids game "Operation" you are going to struggle getting the bearings out of the bottom of the engine case if you do catch the failure. Metal thru the oil pump which is replacement, possible cylinder wall damage from metal and in a bagger you need to pull the oil pan off the bottom of the trans which is harder than putting a wet noodle in a wildcats *** to clean the metal out of it. Spend $8 or google wildcat to make your decision for you.
exactly i had already planned on replacing the bearing for the simple fact ill literally be right there, and it would be kind of foolish not to replace it, even if i had low miles if i have it exposes im not going to skimp over an $10 bearing.

Durham man I bought my Fxr over the past winter, it is amazing to me how a 92 Fxr stayed all stock all these years ran great but had a lot of gear whine ( go back to my first post new Evo owner) was worried that it was Ina bearing ready to go, read a lot about when Harley switched to Ina in 92 but nothing was clear . Went in and it had stock n cam and Torrington, that's all I wanted to know. I put back in a mild Andrews 23 with steel breather with 55 shim, the bike has less gear whine, did this as temporary. Base gaskets weep so I am going to have it redone. Scotts set up sounds tempting, I will tell him to hold the bearing, take it easy just kidding. This was my first motorcycle cam job and all the things I read said replace Ina to Torrington, never saw replace Torrington to Torrington ! Next time it will be replaced, but I am still gonna ride it like I stole it!!! The Chevy lifter thing was me saying u can spend 20$ a lifter to 100$, I never used them but I know some that have, and yes they were in twin cams!!
from the guy i bought it from, 2nd owner, and i have all receipts and service records, the only thing aftermarket on the bike was the damn saddleman travelcade seat, hell it even had the factory exhaust until i changed the mufflers. and i actually bought both the Harley and Clymer manuals, though im like the harley manual a little more except for the microscopic wiring diagrams..

like i said cam, lifters, air breather, and reject is all i really plan on doing, dont see myself needing more then this..

Old 07-11-2017, 07:38 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Wiseco 10.0 pistons
Wood 6 cam
Scott
Most reliable performance setup for an Evo.... Period..... especially with an S&S E...

You just need to properly set the lifter preload and she'll be very quiet.....

Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 PM
dports70
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Most reliable performance setup for an Evo.... Period..... especially with an S&S E...

You just need to properly set the lifter preload and she'll be very quiet.....

never doubted you just not in this yrs budget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing cam soon