EVO All Evo Model Discussion

replacing cam soon

Old 07-03-2017, 05:37 PM
dports70
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default replacing cam soon

im planing this winters project so i can save the funds, i have a 92 flhtcu, with 43k im planing on putting a cam ( E13 or E27 ) not sure which one.air cleaner, and reject.

thinking while im in might as well replace the lifters & push rods and lifters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-P...3D121956535493

this is 1st harley so im kind of looking for recommendation that should be done around this milage..

Old 07-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Anthony Paul
Advanced

Save yourself the head ache and stick with S&S valve train. Those after market parts are not a good choice for durability and longevity. I've had those cheap ones fail before, long ways from home I was 2 states out on I-75 when one of my lifters let loose. Cost more to get the bike back home (plus engine damage) had I spent the money on a good vale train. Just food for thought... Good luck!!

The following users liked this post:
dports70 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 PM
dports70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Anthony Paul
Save yourself the head ache and stick with S&S valve train. Those after market parts are not a good choice for durability and longevity. I've had those cheap ones fail before, long ways from home I was 2 states out on I-75 when one of my lifters let loose. Cost more to get the bike back home (plus engine damage) had I spent the money on a good vale train. Just food for thought... Good luck!!
that's why I'm here asking, learnt a lot over the last year from this forum

Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I've heard good things about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lifter-Set-U...BVr6lp&vxp=mtr

with you mileage I'd replace them and the cam bearing to be safe. cam is a personal choice pick one with a power band that matches your riding style. I liked the ev-3010 I had in my Fatboy.

dports70 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 PM
dports70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by langwilliams

with you mileage I'd replace them and the cam bearing to be safe. cam is a personal choice pick one with a power band that matches your riding style. I liked the ev-3010 I had in my Fatboy.

i aasumes replacing the cam cam bearing was something that's was automatically done when the cam is replaced, I mean you're right there might as well.

i ride an electra glide them seem to be the 2 recommended cams, I just cruise, ride mostly with the wife most, not looking to build a race bike, just want the power when needed to go up them hills or around the slow moving vehicles if needed

Old 07-04-2017, 04:36 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dports70
im planing this winters project so i can save the funds, i have a 92 flhtcu, with 43k im planing on putting a cam ( E13 or E27 ) not sure which one.air cleaner, and reject.

thinking while im in might as well replace the lifters & push rods and lifters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-P...3D121956535493

this is 1st harley so im kind of looking for recommendation that should be done around this milage..

Originally Posted by langwilliams

I did a top end rebuild on my 97 FLHTCUI a few winters and 18k miles ago. Installed the EV 13 and love it. Have nothing to compare it to other than the stock cam but really improved the bike. Also used the Hylift- Johnson lifters mention above with no issues. Be on the lookout for a cam bearing removal and installation tool if you don't already have one. You can probably find one on ebay or the forum classified. I couldn't find one when I needed it and ended up buying one and then selling on classifieds. I was out $20 but well worth it to have the right tool in my opinion. Good luck.

dports70 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

He might get lucky with cam bearing , my 92 Fxr was manufactured in 7-91 and had the Torrington , early 92 still had the torringtons

dports70 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
I did a top end rebuild on my 97 FLHTCUI a few winters and 18k miles ago. Installed the EV 13 and love it. Have nothing to compare it to other than the stock cam but really improved the bike. Also used the Hylift- Johnson lifters mention above with no issues. Be on the lookout for a cam bearing removal and installation tool if you don't already have one. You can probably find one on ebay or the forum classified. I couldn't find one when I needed it and ended up buying one and then selling on classifieds. I was out $20 but well worth it to have the right tool in my opinion. Good luck.
Free tool rentals at auto parts store,blind hole puller will swap the cam bearing in less than five minutes. That's what I used.

dports70 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
He might get lucky with cam bearing , my 92 Fxr was manufactured in 7-91 and had the Torrington , early 92 still had the torringtons
Even so, I'd still put in a new bearing with a cam change. Even the "good" bearing may not last forever, and you're already right there. Why wouldn't you?

dports70 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

My bike had 28 k on it and the bearing looked and felt fine , I guess if mileage was higher I would have, also kept my stock lifters in there for now , I did do the steel breather,

dports70 (07-04-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing cam soon