EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Electrical / Lighting System Upgrade FLSTC

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Of course at this rate, I will spend more time creating the work environment than fixing the bike... No, nevermind, that is not going to happen. For me, fixing the bike is going to take a long time.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have that $90 HF lift. I don't see how the expensive one attaches to the bike to lift it.

The one I have, you can lift the bike and pull a wheel. I've done it. It's not real stable for working on, but if you're careful, you can do it. I was using mine all last week. I modded it by adding an additional stop to the frame so that it will go up to exactly where my bike is straight up and still has the wheels on the ground, then lock. That way I can work on it easier and it is stable. Anyway, it will work if your careful. Better is the classic bike lift made from welded pipes, etc. Guys used to make them and sell them for like $15 back in the 70's, 80's. I still use mine I bought then from a friend of mine. Used it to put my tire on last week. You can make something similar yourself from wood by following these destructions:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

It will be a lot more stable than the HF lift, which is a LIFT, not a work platform.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you end up replacing the Taillight. I bought this one and installed over the winter. Very happy with it so far. Nice and bright.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3400...&totalResult=1

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:58 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
Think I should get the bigger one for $180?

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-p...ift-99887.html

Or the smaller one for $90?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

Also thinking about getting a wheel chock I could mount to some plywood. Lift the bike a bit higher than I need. Create some kind of support structure for wheel chock, then lower bike onto wheel chock. That way when I remove rear wheel, I will not have to worry about changing the balance point.

I have the second one and just use it to lift and lower wheels now but it worked fine when that was all I had.

If you can afford it the cadillac of jacks is the J&S Jack.
It ain't cheap but worth every penny IMO.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Wow, that J&S Jack is sweet!! I like quality stuff and that looks like quality.

Probably overkill for what I need. But, I watched a video that really makes some good points about the superiority of the J&S Jack over others.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:08 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

I've been using the harbor freight jack for the last 12 years. It has held up fine. With any jack, the key is to pay attention and work safely..

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by flhchaz
the key is to pay attention..

This is the key to many things.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

I have not gotten a jack and I have not gotten the rear tire off. But I have gotten the other speed nut off and that loosened the tail light to where it comes about a quarter inch off the fender. It is not limited by a clip that holds the wires and there is very little play.

The clip holds the wire very tightly. It is difficult to get much force on it blind with my fingers reaching under the fender and I am reluctant to put too much force on it without being able to see what I am doing. I have also tried to slide the wires through the clips along the inside of the fender to give myself more play, but all the clips hold the wires very securely. And again, I am reluctant to put too much force on it for fear of damaging the wires or the clips and creating a bigger problem than I have.

I wonder if I could put some kind of lubricant on the wire casing to get it to slide through the clips more easily.

At the moment, I am thinking I am going to keep the existing wire and just repair or replace the tail light.

However, perhaps I should just bite the bullet and cut the wire and commit myself to all new wires and lights for the rear.

Thanks in advance for tolerance of my ignorance in inexperience.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The rear tail light is hardwired in so you may not have any room on the wires to pull it out like you're wanting,

Old 07-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
The rear tail light is hardwired in so you may not have any room on the wires to pull it out like you're wanting,
Yes, that is what I am experiencing. However, I am wondering if I can slide the wires through the clips that hold them in place under the fender or unclip them to give me enough room to get to the back of the light.

Quick Reply: Electrical / Lighting System Upgrade FLSTC