EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Two horns on an FLHTP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Two horns on an FLHTP!

I've got a '93 FLHTP that I'm slowing bringing back to life. I've finished up the carb rebuild, and hopefully will have all the pieces (VOES, new petcock, etc) all back together to do some testing/adjustment by tomorrow...

In the meantime, I decided I wanted a second horn on my bike (it is a retired police bike afterall!). The horn switch has three positions Middle/off, left side activates "siren" and right side activates normal horn. When I got the bike, the horn under the chrome horn cover was not a normal horn, but a small loudspeaker that barely fit into the horn cover. I went an ordered a "normal" HD horn (because it was cheaper to order the horn than to pay for shipping for two FSMs that I ordered). I'm going to install the normal horn, and attach a siren amplifer to the motorcycle horn. If not, the amplifier (aka electronic air horn) came with a loudspeaker that weighs 6 freaking pounds! This is what I got:

https://www.online-led-store.com/lam...-pszaudcoma006

Should be fun!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

Good luck, sounds like fun. I run two horns on my dyna.

Don't know why it's like this, but my bike came with the factory hidden horn mounted to the battery tray under the seat and above the trans. Sounded a little whimpy by itself.

I also have the chrome cowbell "shaker horn" that is mounted on the rubber mount at the upper engine bracket on the left side between the two cylinders, but it was never connected and did not have the wiring to connect it when I purchased the bike.

So I ran the wires and a relay and tied them both together so I have a high note and a low note like on old vintage cars.

Sounds great! When I need to use the horn, that cage that is drifting in my lane while texting gets a sudden wake up call and thinks they are about to drift into an old buick!

It gets attention and that's what I want. The key to a good set up with dual horns is a relay. I would assume yours is already set up with the needed relays, but worth a double check. YD

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/horn-wiring.html

Old 07-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm running a Denali air horn and the security horn from an old Benz. Definitely wakes up the drifters. The combo sounds like a delivery truck.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:11 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

2 horns do work well. Out here for some reason the little air horns choke and puke. Have tried Stebel Wolo used the relays and a friend had a Denali that out lasted the others. 4 of us all ran these horns at some point,

Ran a Stebel air along with a stebel elec. for awhile and it worked well.

After taking some apart we came to a conclusion that the W. Texas dust and dirt just gets to them. One fella had a Mini Beast that lasted for 3-4 years but it even gave it up finally.

Heard one of these awhile back, it was a surprise as to how loud it was.
Gonna give it a try. You can get them cheaper at what used to be Kutter HD
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...mount-horn-kit

WP