1992 FXDC Crankcase Breather

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 1992 FXDC Crankcase Breather

Hi guys,
My 1992 FXDC is spewing out a lot of oil into the air filter (S&S E carb and K&N air filter). I've seen a lot of Crankcase breather solutions for this but I cant seem to find anything for a 1992 FXDC, it seems 1992 was a cross over year? Also came across the options of a Top end breather and a Bottom end breather...still confused? I think i also have a split crankcase leak but thats almost more manageable!

Anyone got a 1992 FXDC and can tell me what the best solution to this is would be much appreciated and explain why the regular top end breathers wont fit?

Attached is a photo of my set up art present.
Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails 1992 FXDC Crankcase Breather-img_6466.jpg  
Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

First thing I would do is reroute the crank case breather to atmosphere and get that thing off your carb!!!!!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 AM
darylnj
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default breather

if you don't have head breather bolts then you don't have a head breather
just remove the existing breather line from the back of the carb and route it to the ground

Old 07-10-2017, 07:55 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

Thanks texashillcountry and darylnj, when i remove the breather line from the back of the carb do I just drop a tube down to the ground, no filter etc? It might take me a while to get a filter or "catcher" but is it ok to leave it just "open" (I appreciate this is dropping some "slippery stuff" in front of my rear tire but hopefully it wouldn't be too much?)

Also I guess i need to block whatever holes I don't use back there (am at office so cant remember whats there but pretty sure there were 2 tubes or 2 tubes connected). I'll also need to find where this tube connects to now, Ill check my Clymers manual.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by monchidog
Ill check my Clymers manual.
There's your problem.

Just run the hose open, it won't dump oil onto your tire. Once you remove the A/C cover it will be obvious what to do. I plugged mine with a nut and bolt.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:44 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

Haha! thanks Beemervet, yes I am looking into getting the Service Manual (I was going to sell the bike and get a more modern one but no one wanted her so now im keeping her i need the manual).
So just to be clear I remove the tubes from the back of the air cover and point the tube down to the ground. Ive added a photo with what I think I should do.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Haha! thanks Beemervet, yes I am looking into getting the Service Manual (I was going to sell the bike and get a more modern one but no one wanted her so now im keeping her i need the manual).
So just to be clear I remove the tubes from the back of the air cover and point the tube down to the ground. Ive added a photo with what I think I should do.
I route mine out to the swingarm so that there is no chance of oil coming out of the breather and getting on the tread of my tire.

For case breathers you should take the hose up and over the transmission before routing it out to the swingarm.

FWIW I run mine open (no filter or catch can).
No problems.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

OK thanks for the insight texashillcountry. One final dumb question.....is the bottom end of the tube (as i have it now) basically the "case breather"?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the Uni UP122 filter. It has a zip tie loop and accepts 3/8" hose so you can route and hide it anywhere. I wasn't big on having it dump under the bike without a filter so I hid it behind the horn but you could hide it below the bike as well.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

OK thanks for the insight texashillcountry. One final dumb question.....is the bottom end of the tube (as i have it now) basically the "case breather"?
Where the hose connects to your case (just inside the oil pump) is the connection to your breather system.
Just get a new length of hose and connect one end there and route the other out to air.

Oh and definitely toss that Clymer Manual and get you an OEM one!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1992 FXDC Crankcase Breather