Best on the road repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:06 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
My 65 BSA Lightning....
You could have stopped right there..... (I owned a 69 Triumph Bonneville)

Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
MN-Ultra
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's for all the trouble tales. This probable doesn't even count because my guess everybody has done this on the road at one time or another. Lifters. I don't remember what town we were stay at but I contacted Gillette H-D and had them overnight me a set and replaced them in the morning. Fortunately I had the adjustable push rods so that made it much easier.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
You could have stopped right there..... (I owned a 69 Triumph Bonneville)
I feel your pain. I had two '68 Bonnevilles. After many years I got much better at heading off imminent failures with preventive maintenance, but still...

Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I feel your pain. I had two '68 Bonnevilles. After many years I got much better at heading off imminent failures with preventive maintenance, but still...
I really loved the bike (wish I still had it), but it was finicky with regards to getting carb's sync'd. Dark burgundy tank color. It was a nice ride, but the previous owner had put a set of TT pipes on it, that I immediately swapped out for a Hooker header set up. Sounded great. Had all the famous English bike leaks... Actually was bought for my first wife to ride, I had a 71 BMW R75/5 at the time. She had no problems kicking it over, and she was average size.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Well ... way back when several of were headed for Indy ( the 500 ... we use to go every year ) my brother was riding a 500 Honda 4 cyl. It was raining hard and it picked up a miss. We pulled into a Quarter Car Wash to hide out and see if we could figure out why it was missing. After some probing we realized that one cylinder was dead. The pipe was ice cold. Pulled the plug and it looked okay. Spun it over and something didn't sound right. Pulled the rocker arm box plugs for that cylinder and saw that one of the rocker arm adjusting lock nuts had backed off and was missing. After some head scratching we removed the seat and gas tank. 4 of us turned the bike upside down and shook it as best we could. Yep, the rocker arm nut fell out. Whodathunkit? We were back on the road in an hour and it never missed another beat.
Same thing happened to my brother's little Honda trail bike. We fixed it the same way, except we pulled the motor (4 bolts).

Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

A few years back I was in Covington, LA. at a group gathering and broke the rear belt on my 94 Ultra.

One of the guys had one of those spare belts you assemble and it got me over to my friends house who had a lift.

I called back to an Indie I know in Houston and had one of the club brothers overnight me the parts and I converted it to chain drive the next day after it arrived.

Wasn't exactly on the side of the road though. Would have passed on that.

Griz