EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Conflicting stories, need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Conflicting stories, need some insight

So, I have been looking at a 1998 Electra Glide Ultra with 23000 miles on it. When I went to look at it, the owner fired it up and she started right up, no smoke, ran pretty smooth. I noticed two issues, first, the rear jug has a slight oil leak at the top gasket, it is just seeping out, not pouring and I noticed the oil pressure stayed steady. The second thing was the fuel line was leaking at the fitting in the tank. The owner says his Indy told him it was about 4 to 5 hundred to remove the tank and replace the gaskets on both jugs and to replace the fuel line, doesn't recommend replacing the o-rings.
So today, I am talking to the service manager at the Harley Shop and he shocks me with an estimate of 2 grand to do it, WTF? Anyway, what else should I be paying attention to or is it better to keep looking. I will say the bike sat and idled for 15 minutes and never smoked or overheated and it was 92 degrees.
I am interested because everything except the exhaust is stock, the original tool kit and owners manual are still in the tour pack and the intercom headsets are still in the packages. I would be interested in you guys thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Is this a fuel injected model??

The HD shop didn't want the job. Seen it happen. They price it high enough you won't do it

WP

Old 07-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Which gasket is leaking? If its a rocker box those can be done without removing the tank, just loosening an lifting. If this is EFI then get a set of Goodridge fuel lines for $150 to $180(?) and replace them yourself. If the money is right for the bike you are good to go.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:30 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

It is a fuel injected bike, seems to run very well. I know that was the first fuel injection and it either was good or it sucked. I felt the 2 grand by the dealer was pretty high and maybe they didn't want to do it, although they claim to work on EVO's all the time. I have read in many places that the 98 80 inch might have been the best Harley did. I have an 07 FXD now but the EVO has been calling me for a couple years, just like the older motors. I appreciate the input. It looks like the top gasket on the box, in the corner, almost like the bolt would be loose. I could live with the $500 repair. The guy has lowered his ask to $6000, his wife is on him hard because he has a 1990 Tour glide he wants to keep.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:45 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

If he's asking six, he'll take five. Even five is a strong price for this bike right now. Unless he really doesn't want to sell. The market for old baggers is beyond soft. You can drive a hard bargain.

The gaskets can be ignored. A little weeping is only a cosmetic concern. Or you could take a Saturday and pull the top end and replace them from the base gaskets up.

Personally, I'd be looking for a carbed model. The MM system on those wasn't great when new, and 20 years of age hasn't improved it. I'd rather fit an S&S carb than put money into the old fi.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:45 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Tell him all the work you have to put into it your top dollar is 5k cash today and your looking at another bike for 5K and walk away. He wont let you go if he is serious about selling

Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

if your going to own an older machine - you must be willing to throw cash at it or you will be willing to work on it - no other choice exist and buying the factory parts and service book and have at it --

you have 2 so wanting to go for a ride is a no brainer - learning and asking questions in the evo section will get you a job well done

nothing like throwing some wrenches at something and then riding to the next adventure

Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

'96 was the first year EFI. That bike will run well for quite awhile with a little help, nothing to worry about. Buy it, fix the hose leaks and keep going.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:21 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

400 to 500 sounds right for those repairs or do it yourself for 200 plus the cost of a Factory Service Manual which you should buy regardless. The MM is a reliable and simple system if you will take the time to learn about it. Like any system, it has it quirks but unless you intend to do lots of high performance engines mods it will serve you well. Lots of us with over 100k on that system.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

If the leak is on the rocker boxes, then it's quite possible that one of the 3 pieces has warped. Most likely it is the middle one. I have a really, really, really depressing story about a bad rocker box. But I won't bore everyone with it in this post.

Replacing the rockerbox gaskets is a simple job. I've done it 4 times (part of the depressing story).

If you've got a fuel line leak, do as posted and replace the lines. Simple fix.

The price for old Harley baggers is soft. Probably start out at $4200 (because of the 'issues'), and see if I could get it for $4500. No way would I pay $5500 or more for it. But pricing is regional, so the local market dictates.

Quick Reply: Conflicting stories, need some insight