EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92 Softail running horrible. Oil running out of front intake bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
It's a good thing you pointed out that the ignition has nothing to do with the starter circuit, or the rest of us might have contributed something stupid.
I was simply responding to the OP`s statement :

I attempted to go for a test ride but it died at the end of my driveway (about 40 feet) when i pulled the clutch in. I tried to restart it but no luck. the starter just clicked a couple times then nada. after about 3 times the starter didn't do anything when i hit the button. after about 15-20 minutes i tried to start it again and almost got it but it died. I hit the starter button again and it clicks 2-3 times then dies. I press starter again and it's not doing anything.

What do you think, maybe the s&s hi-4n ignition is done?
This made me think that maybe the OP thought the ignition system was causing the starter issue.

Not sure what your problem is here, the post was not directed at you, it was directed at the OP in an attempt to help.

I hope this is ok with you.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-25-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

this is not a common issue But the heads valve guide seal has come loose and jumped off, with the amount of oil flowing into the heads it drowns the valve guide and the oil will swamp the exhaust pipe - some smoke real bad some smell like its burning oil when you stop at a light - depends on wear how bad it gets

fixed more then one with this - oil issue

the ignition is suspect in the other thing its doing

Last edited by johnjzjz; 07-25-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

This made me think that maybe the OP thought the ignition system was causing the starter issue.

Not sure what your problem is here, the post was not directed at you, it was directed at the OP in an attempt to help.

......and my post was not directed at you, but at an OP who brings a problem here with incomplete info, then edits the post days later to correct the omission.

OK?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

......and my post was not directed at you, but at an OP who brings a problem here with incomplete info, then edits the post days later to correct the omission.

OK?
You quoted my post, then made a reference to my post. Maybe you should read it again...

Now back to the horrible running Softail.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Time to check the battery & charging system.
Picked up my meter and was gonna test battery again, stator, + coil but now the bike won't even start after sitting for a day. I push the starter and nothing. Is it even possible to test accurately if i can't get it started?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
this is not a common issue But the heads valve guide seal has come loose and jumped off, with the amount of oil flowing into the heads it drowns the valve guide and the oil will swamp the exhaust pipe - some smoke real bad some smell like its burning oil when you stop at a light - depends on wear how bad it gets

fixed more then one with this - oil issue

the ignition is suspect in the other thing its doing
You might be onto something w/the valve guide seal..... Before I got my base gaskets replaced about a month or 2 ago every now and then (usually @ dusk or dark) I used to notice a light cloud of white smoke coming up from the motor after stopping @ a red light after cruising on the highway. I always attributed it to the oil burning off from my leaking front base gasket. However I noticed it again a few days ago and tried to track it down but couldn't see exactly where it was coming from. I thought it was maybe coming from the head area but wasn't sure....

Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,707 Likes on 6,690 Posts

Originally Posted by thatctguy
Picked up my meter and was gonna test battery again, stator, + coil but now the bike won't even start after sitting for a day. I push the starter and nothing. Is it even possible to test accurately if i can't get it started?
Read this sticky:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...ng-system.html

Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

You are correct, I was thinking maybe the ignition was causing some kind of voltage drain that wouldn't give enough power to starter. Obviously I was wrong.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:32 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser

OK?
Sorry for the confusion, def not trying to start any drama in this thread, I'm just trying to avoid paying the $$ to have my Indy figure it out. I thought the only thing I edited was that the bike was idleing super rough when I got it started after it was trailered home. Pretty sure I mentioned the starter stopped engaging in the OP. Thanks for your help tho, greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

A dead electrical system will cause ignition problems. Go through the stickey.

Quick Reply: 92 Softail running horrible. Oil running out of front intake bolt?