EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92 Softail running horrible. Oil running out of front intake bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

if you charge the battery and it tested fine - then charge it again - from what I have read after its charged and you leave it connected to the bike it will be dead in the morning -- is this correct > then do this

remove the battery plus term main wire and everything else connected to the plus term

connect a test light clip end to all of the wires you took off the plus terminal, and put the point end of the test light, on the battery terminal keeping the removed wires and the point of the test light separate from one another - if the test light comes on your regulator is bad > then do this

to test the connected circuit to be sure you did it right -- if it does not come on the test light - turn the key on and the test light should light < that will tell you your connected correctly > if this happens then - my guess the battery is bad

What your doing is testing for a draw - like a cars trunk light on you don't know about that is killing the battery

Old 07-30-2017, 10:37 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charged the battery again even though it is supposedly good. Threw it back in the bike, pressed the starter button and still nothing, not even a click. I used a jumper wire on the starter-battery and it cranked strong but still wouldn't start tho. Checked plugs and they were wet w/gas. Swapped plugs and it cranks all day but won't start.

also, when I tried to get the bike to start with the connector plugged back into the starter nothing happens when I press the starter button; I have to use a jumper wire from the battery to get it to crank. What could that be, starter relay?

Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by thatctguy
Charged the battery again even though it is supposedly good. Threw it back in the bike, pressed the starter button and still nothing, not even a click. I used a jumper wire on the starter-battery and it cranked strong but still wouldn't start tho. Checked plugs and they were wet w/gas. Swapped plugs and it cranks all day but won't start.

also, when I tried to get the bike to start with the connector plugged back into the starter nothing happens when I press the starter button; I have to use a jumper wire from the battery to get it to crank. What could that be, starter relay?
That would be my first guess.
Get a voltmeter and confirm that you are getting power to the relay.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
That would be my first guess.
Get a voltmeter and confirm that you are getting power to the relay.
Swapped relay and starter still does nothing when button is pushed. Thinking might be the switch on the bars

Old 07-30-2017, 01:39 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Pulled the plugs then grounded them; used the battery-jumper wire to crank the motor and there was no spark to either plug.

So originally it starts hesitating then dies, then it starts intermittently, now it doesn't start @ all & no spark in either plug (plug wires are new). I'm thinking either ignition module or coil?

Old 07-30-2017, 02:48 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Is it possible that my starting + no spark issues are related? The starter button does nothing when pressed and when I use a jumpwire to the starter to crank the bike I'm not getting any spark out of the plugs. Maybe I need a new start/stop switch?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

put a test light on the white wire at the coil - that one is 12 volts in - see if it lights - put it on the other side of the coil and crank it see if it blinks --

Old 07-30-2017, 07:29 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
put a test light on the white wire at the coil - that one is 12 volts in - see if it lights - put it on the other side of the coil and crank it see if it blinks --
In the off and on position nothing lights up. When I turn it on and crank it using a battery to starter jumper wire the positive & both negatives light up (s&s single fire coil) when I put the probe on them.

Last edited by thatctguy; 07-30-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser

In my attempt to find out why I wasn't getting 12v to coil I took off the tank to take a look @ the wiring. Found 1 that was loose (crappy splicing job). Connected it back up and was finally getting voltage to coil. Connected the starter back up & it works again also w/o using a jumper wire. It fired up no problem and is running good. Gotta get ready for work but I'm going to take it on a test ride tomm to make sure everything is ok. Thanks again for everyone's patience + help.

Last edited by thatctguy; 07-31-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Glad you found it!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 92 Softail running horrible. Oil running out of front intake bolt?