EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need some help here

Hey all. I have a 95 Heritage Softail Nostalgia, 37,700 miles.I just started hearing a strange noise only when I deccelerate or downshift. It stops when bike stops. I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the motor. Best described, it's sounds "clunkety".... like "gurggling ball-bearings" right underneath me. I only do basic work on it myself, and had it competely inspected and gone through by my indy a couple weeks ago. Other than a couple minor things, bike checked out perfect. So this is unexpected. My indy is out of town, so I'm not sure if I should even be riding it. The bike is pretty much unmolested, but I believe it has an ev-27 cam. I'm not sure if the bearing was swapped out when tbe OO had it done, but I assume so. That work would've been performed not long after original purchase. Tbat's about all the history I have on it , other than I bought it 4 years ago with 10k miles on it, and have kept it in pristine condition. I don't have an abusive riding style, neither did the original owner....if that matters. Any initial thoughts/advice/info would be greatly appreciated....as always.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The first thing I would do is drain/refill the primary and the trans, paying close attention to see if anything chunky falls out.

Does anything change the sound? Does it only happen under engine braking, or does it happen with the clutch pulled in?

If you put the bike in neutral and push it, do you hear anything?

Do you have a motorcycle jack? Can you put it up on a jack and spin the rear wheel with it in neutral? Then pull the plugs and try spinning it in gear.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

No jack. No noise pushing it. Noise only wben I pull clutch in on decceleration. Or if I pop it in neutral when slowing down. Also, iit doesn't always make noise....seems like moreso after she's good and hot. When I first start it and let it warm up, she sounds completely normal. I had it at the indy a week and a half ago, and had all fresh fluids with the service. Before that, no symptoms of any sort.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

I'd check the primary chain tension

Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Ck your fluid levels would be first.

How many miles since it was serviced?

WP

Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Sounds like a loose primary chain to me. On deceleration the chain can hit the top of the primary case if it's too loose.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:55 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

Hmm. Just got it back from the shop a little over a week ago. Started making the noise after maybe 100 miles after picking it up. No issues whatsoever before that....with anything. It does sound like kind of a crunkling/knocking sound ( only when slowing with clutch in or neutral) ,and I'm almost positive not the motor. Does it sound like something that I could cause damage if it's ridden....or could I limp it back to the indy....about 30 miles??

Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Sounds like a loose primary chain to me. On deceleration the chain can hit the top of the primary case if it's too loose.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:41 PM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you Change to different type/brand of oil at the last oilswap? Syn/dyno/weight?

checking primary chain tension isn't hard, 4screws and a ruler, 15min Job at most.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
or could I limp it back to the indy....about 30 miles??
That much noise and just after a service.
Truck or trailer if possible

WP

Quick Reply: Need some help here