Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Just in case....

Rev. 03-29-17
Some electrical 101 and a little more..

Remember, the best made brand new battery that has been on a maintenance charger for 3 days that has a loose or bad connection is no better then a boat anchor with a loose rope. The connection can get loose after one ride if the battery is not anchored and the wires are short and get tugged in a direction that can unscrew the bolts.

After a good 24+ hour maintenance low amperage (never over 2 amp) charge, with the charge light in the solid green and the battery has set about 24 hours off charge, voltage should be about 12.8 volts.
You can speed up this process by turning on the ignition key (headlight comes on) for ~3 seconds and then switch it back off. This is enough of a load to bleed off the excess residual charge from the charger and then you can measure the battery voltage.

12.8 = fully charged
12.6 = 75% charged
12.3 = 50% charged (Lot of new modern cars with system protection will not even click at this point but will have good headlight beams showing)
12.0 =25% charged

Always check both the terminals at the battery lead and also at the terminal on the wire. That helps to verify connection. With a DC volt meter (one that has a feature to lock high and low reading is best) hooked across the battery terminals and reading 12.8 or so, crank motor and while its cranking it should not drop below about 9.6 volts and as soon as it starts and throttled up to 2000 rpm, voltage should read around 14.8 volts. The 2000 rpm is the bench mark standard. Ignore idle output. Ignore output above 2000rpm unless it exceeds 14.9 volts. That is a sure indication that regulator is bad.

The crank check shows a rough check of the reserve amperage capacity of the battery while cranking with a 150-200 amp load on it. The 14.8 shows a good alternator and if you leave it on a while as the regulatory will drop the voltage a little showing itself working. However, with the lights and stuff always on, it will never drop back much. If you have a lot of options, most modern bikes will not show 14.8 charging volts at idle but stock newer bikes will be close. Older bikes with lower amperage output not so much. However, 2000 rpm is the bench mark for the standard 14.8 volts.

If the voltage is only about 13 volt DC at 2000 RPM, the AC volts stator may be shorted or bad. Unlike the regulator, this is an easy check with an AC meter. Check that the two or three legs do not go to frame ground and that the ohm resistance across all combinations of checks are within an ohm of what is called out in the service manual. Also check the AC volts coming from them at 2000 rpm.
Be cautious here since you can kill yourself with this much AC volts. You need a service manual or look you spec up on line for your unique bike. I have seen about 3 verations over the last 20 years of Harleys due to ever increasing output.

If you think battery is good and something is draining it sitting, now would be a good time to check for drain problems. Go to Harbor Freight and get you a AC/DC meter for under $25 or so. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-d...ter-37772.html Make sure it has DC amps draw, DC voltage, resistance and AC voltage. Key off. Remove the negative cable off the battery. Set meter on DC amps. Hook the meter lead to cable and the other to battery. !!Key off.do not turn on!! Ignore that first draw as the alarm trims back and stuff charges for 1 minute. Now, how many milliamps (mA) is it drawing? It should be no more then 6 mA which is the ECM (1), speedometer (1), tac, TSSM (1), HFSM (1) and voltage regulator (1)

When a battery wears out, a good charge will show fairly good voltage, but the battery can still have very low amperage capacity which will show in the crude crank test above, but it really should be checked after a good charge by removing it from bike and getting a free check at a place like AutoZone that has a fancy load meter check that gives you a print out of the battery health. Battery MUST BE CHARGED to check it. Be sure they set their meter to correct cold cranking amperage stated on the battery. Never charge the AGM absorbed glass mat battery with a regular car battery charger unless it is a newer one that says safe with this type of battery. Also, by taking battery out you now know you have good connections. Vibration tends to loosen the connections or a little corrosion will prevent charging or cause starting problems. Be forwarned, these checks quite often are incorrect due to the low amperage of these small batteries and junk checking equipment. If bike is charging, no load on battery when key is off and you are still having problems…REPLACE THE BATTERY. If battery is more then 3-4 years old.. REPLACE THE BATTERY.

Using the maintenance charger can get more years from a battery but be careful here. You do not want the last start 5 miles from home. If it still grunts when you first hit starter or kicks back with a bang, replace it. After a few years, charge and pull battery and have it checked for cold cranking amperage ever spring. Even then, if it grunts most ever start, I would replace it. Most battery checkers at AutoZone and places like that do not do really well on the low amperage setting on small batteries. Not sure why but they tend to say they are OK when they are weak. If they have one that fits your bike, Wal-Mart's AGM absorbed glass mat battery is just as good as any for one third to half the money of a Harley Battery. My last 4 years befor it started grunting. And out it came. Do not put an old fashion one with vent tubes on a modern TC Harley. Do not jump, push start or run bike with a half dead battery except in a real emergency. If a bike battery is down and you jump it, throwing all that amps to it from a big car battery especially one that is running can wreck a bike regulator or charging system. Charging a worn out battery can kill alternator stator or the voltage regulator or both. Probably ending in a big dollar repair in parts alone.

It is also a good idea to always check your battery at 2000 RPM with your meter set to AC. If by chance, the regulator goes bad, sometimes it will let AC come thru. That is a sure sign of a bad regulator. Older 2 wire stators have a single-phase output while the newer stators with 3 wires have a 3 phase output. The 3 phase system provides a more consistent and higher current output to the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator takes the AC from the alternator, rectifies it to DC and limits the voltage level to the battery depending on the voltage reading it gets back from the battery.

Also remember, when starting a Harley, hit the starter and hold it in till it is firing on both cylinders and running before letting up. If you let up before it’s running, quiet often, it actually take an FI motor longer to start. There is a fraction of a second more for a long stroke Harley then a multi-cylinder car for it to get going. If you do not do this, it will kick back with a bang, sneeze thru the intake or crank a lot longer the second time or shame on you the third time. Also, if you have a habit of doing this, the starter solenoid switch contact will only have half the life it could. You cannot hurt the starter. The starter gear has a sprag clutch. There are drive pins in it that as the gas motor catches and run, it outruns the starter motor drive and disengages it from the electric motor. If you hold it in a little too long and listen carefully, you will hear the sprag clutch run up the ramps and slip. Makes a sizzle hum. This will show you your starter sprag clutch is OK.

My batteries:
11-05-03 Originial Harley 3 years
08-07-06 Harley 6.5 years (nursed way too long and was grunting and banging often)
04-29-13 Walmart Ever Start 4 years (grunting)
03-25-17 AutoZone Duralast Gold

The following users liked this post:
monckywrench (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Amos Iron Wolf
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I just had a pricey AGM battery just a few months old go bad. I was sure it was one more thing with this bike and something had really gone wrong this time. The entire charging system had been replaced a few months back. When they tested it at the shop it turned ou to be the battery which was replaced under warranty.

The bike I have has had a relay shortcut done, but every now and then I'm glad it has the solenoid button on it. I'll still get a click, no fire on occasion and just reach down and hit the button and fires right up.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 PM
tbro90fb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded one click.

It was the starter relay, back on the road again

Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by tbro90fb
It was the starter relay, back on the road again
If it starts again soon then install the 20 amp fused wire.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Had this exact problem on my 94 Fatboy when I first got it. It would do this about once every 4-5 days. One push on the start button equaled one click. If it sat for 20-30 minutes, it would turn over again.

What fixed it for me was to pull the battery connectors off the battery and clean the corrosion. The Positive side in particular was bad. I just brushed them with a wire brush until they were shiny again, reinstalled, and haven't had the problem since.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM
BigUglyMan
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikolaiownz
I have start problems aswell sometimes. I indtalled a solinoid startet push button on the starter so i Can start it there when it clicks

Same deal here. Happens randomly and seemingly without pattern (never an first fire in the morning though). Luckily my starter has an end-cap button so I haven't been stranded.

Last edited by BigUglyMan; 09-22-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Clean battery posts &/or Tighten the battery cable connections

Old 09-22-2017, 01:29 PM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

RIPSAWs post is outstanding! For those less familiar with charging systems I suggest printing it as a checklist to keep with your service manual.

You can find heavier duty Bosch-style relays to replace the stock starter relay at a good auto store like NAPA, though they may lack the plastic mounting tab. Replacement relay sockets are also available and inexpensive.

Silicone tuneup grease the plug to exclude corrosion. The stuff is wonderful for motorcycle, car and truck connectors and applied to the stator-to-regulator connector excludes the usual oil and moisture that typically cook and ruin connectors.

If you are stuck on the road a pocket knife will usually pry the cover off the relay which you can then close by hand.

Opening bad relays then looking at the contacts with bright light is educational. You can see how they gradually burn and reduce contact surface. A working naked relay is a quick way to tell you've got good power to the relay from your starter switch. I leave a couple around the shop for convenience. A cheap incandescent bulb test light (incandescent bulbs are more load than LEDs) is also good for checking relay power.

Many owners neglect ground connections which are a vital current return path.

While a car battery jump from a NON-RUNNING car or truck doesn't over-volt regulators, a running car forces the little motorcycle regulator to attempt to regulate the car alternator output! I've had quite a few fried customer regulators (on any brand of motorcycle) smoked by unknowing owners.

If the Harley you are trying to start has the oil tank above the engine and sat for a long time, check for wet sumping before trying for a start. If the oil level is low that usually indicates some made its way past the oil pump to the crankcase. I just pull the timing plug (outdoors!) and the first few engine rotations blow out the excess. Trying to turn over a wet-sumped Harley is very hard on starter systems.

Last edited by monckywrench; 09-22-2017 at 01:37 PM.