EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New member will have loads of evo questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 AM
r-bar-j
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Nice Ride!

The following users liked this post:
Pauly paints (10-14-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:35 AM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

THAT is one SWEET machine!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Pauly paints
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, it took a long time to find the right bike and the cash even longer, very ugly divorce lost me my beloved springer but a new lady and a new ride some 10 years later I'm back to where I started.

Is is the anti dive in both forks? Are they set up the same? I've ordered most of the parts needed. To get her back on road for now. Upgrades pending. Fork seals, oil pump seals springs and ball , cam cover gasket, brake pads , front rotors , front tyre "used" but lightly , red line shock proof for the box. I'll do the primary and motor as well. Also going with heavy fork oil as she's a big unit, I'm a large fella.

Once shes he's finished I'll pack the swag and head off for a few 1000 miles to see a few mates.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The anti-dive system is connected to both legs of the front forks.

A genuine HD Factory Shop Manual is a really good purchase. NOT THAT WE CAN'T ANSWER MOST QUESTIONS HERE... but it's very handy for references, etc.

The heavier shock oil will help stiffen up the front end. Also, for the primary, a lot of us are running ATF. I use the synthetic type.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Pauly paints
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou Dr, your advice is priceless. Thanks to everyone else also.

you guys are very blessed , manuals here are rare, and very costly. I've managed to get a digital version for now but if anyone has a genuine one or comes across one they are willing to post, I'll take it without question.

parts have started arriving, most should land this week. Next weekend we are at Phillip island for MotoGP which we do annually, just down the freeway a bit. If anyone ever wants to visit this end of the earth come this time of year. Weathers nice, races on.

Ive got a load of evo parts in my storage, so going there this week to find some gaskets and maybe even a small part of my sanity I lost a couple weeks back. Cheers all.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Mach1diesel
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well mate, good news and bad. I will be willing to help you look for whatever you need, including the manual, if you want to cover the costs.

Bad news is, the manual new is US$104 and I have no idea why. I ordered one last year about this time, and it was $48. I cant explain the price jump.

There are a few on our ebay, so if you find one you like, let me know. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...83-92&_sacat=0

I would wait a little while and see if anyone here has one lying around.

Last edited by Mach1diesel; 10-14-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Pauly paints (10-19-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 03:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

A new FSM costs only around the same as one hour of your local HD mechanic's time - so is not really expensive at all. You get the cost of it back with the very first job you do by referring to it. Also be aware that few if any of us in here are about to retype the FSM long-hand, just to save a newcomer a few bucks! We will however very happily pass on tips and guidance from our experience, especfially if you want to clarify something in your FSM.

Ask at your local dealer for one and the price, there is no reason why they cannot get one for you. Just lay back and think of Milwaukee, then open your wallet and say after me - help yourself! Don't be a skinflint. Also beware of the prices asked on-line for secondhand ones as, especially on US Ebay, they tend to be more expensive than a brand new one. The info available to you in a FSM is priceless - and I really mean that. Buy yourself one asap!

Pauly paints (10-19-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 06:18 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
There's probably a piece of trash/gunk stuck at the ball. I'd start by pulling the ball out (clamp the hose from the tank first), cleaning everything up really well, inspect it. Some will take a brass drift and whap the ball down into the pump, kinda making a new seat for it.
Listen here this is the ****. Sometimes if it don't work there's a hair linr crack somewhere that the check ball can't seal.
Oil pumps are cheap too so yea if your chasing your tail with that one get a new one s and s they are good.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Good lookin' ride!

Quick Reply: New member will have loads of evo questions.