Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   I really lost myself this weekend (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1203471-i-really-lost-myself-this-weekend.html)

Mattbastard 10-15-2017 09:55 PM

I really lost myself this weekend

Lost myself in a new bike project!!! Two weekends ago I bought a 1994 FLHTC Electra Glide with 131000 miles and a cracked case where a stud pulled out for $2000. The Easter eggs are an S&S 89" stroker crank, EV3, Thunderheader, Super E, and Jims lifters.

Saturday I pulled the motor and stripped it down to split cases and pressed out the crank. I also farted around with the wiring a bit until my back was killing me from hunching over.

Today I pulled the inner primary and trans and wheeled the bike in the back yard for a shower. Sprayed degreaser on everything that needed it and went to town with the pressure washer. Also sealed up the trans and pressure washed that too. Then back in the garage I pulled the swingarm to inspect the "bearings" only to learn there ain't no bearings, but BUSHINGS... :icon_dunce: Oh well, they're pressed out now, midas well go nylon on the install.

Now it's much easier to wrench on without constantly bumping into something that leaves a huge black smear. Back when the crank was done I believe the mechanic who did it didn't seal the case halves correctly because there was tons of road shit all over the transmission, frame, belt, pulley, inner primary, etc... Also, the case halves literally fell apart when I took off the last bolt. Every HD I've ever split before was a sturdy bitch about coming apart. Now I know why I got four free quarts of oil in the saddlebags.

I'm also cleaning up the electrical. For some reason HD in their infinite wisdom made the FLHTC and the FLHTCU the same wiring harness but mine doesn't have any of the electronics. Using the factory wiring diagram I'm gutting all the BS wiring out of it to clean up behind the faring.

I've got an S&S case on the way that's already hogged out for big bore. Axtell makes a 102" kit that'll fit in the case spigots for the 96", my dad's old Dyna came with a 585V which he's sending me. I'll put in some high lift springs and take a little material out of the combustion chamber to get compression back down to earth. She's gonna rip!

98hotrodfatboy 10-16-2017 08:50 AM

Sounds like a good plan... Subscribed.... Good luck man....

One more thing. If your going into a 102"er forget about the E carb.... It'll only choked it out... My stroked 96"er falls off at 5k... Get a G with thunder jet... Easier to tune and don't forget about the external adjustable air bleed... All necessary if you want to maximize that 102"er........

Crashone 10-16-2017 09:18 AM

Look into TruTrac bronze bushings for that swing arm. Check out the whole TruTrac system as well.

Mattbastard 10-16-2017 10:15 AM

I actually changed my mind against the nylon for the Paughco steel bearing/bushing kit. I want the least amount of flex as possible. Once it's on the road I'll be installing some version of the "3rd link" as well. My Brother in Law got the Progressive one on his bike and he likes it.

Good idea on the Super G. The PO told me it had a G, but after disassembly it's an E. I've also got an Mik 42 from a previous Sportster, but that's no more flowing than the E.

0maha 10-16-2017 10:44 AM

This is great stuff...

...BUT WHERE ARE THE PICS!?!?!?!?!?:icon_photo: :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Mr-Mike 10-16-2017 11:25 AM

I like it! Sounds fun. Good find, enjoy!

Mattbastard 10-16-2017 12:26 PM

I need a replacement for Photobucket. Got any tips?

WP50 10-16-2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbastard (Post 16740126)
the Paughco steel bearing/bushing kit. .

Good choice Made a world of difference on my 97.

Haven't found a need to add anything else.

WP

Super Glidester 10-16-2017 01:47 PM

I did too, drank too much wine, woke up on the couch, didnt know how I got there ;)

0maha 10-16-2017 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbastard (Post 16740505)
I need a replacement for Photobucket. Got any tips?

I just click on the little "mountain scene" icon in the reply tool bar and upload them here.