EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Hydraulic Clutch on an EVO w SE 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:28 AM
harleyevo@verizon.net
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydraulic Clutch on an EVO w SE 6speed

So gentlemen I have a 1999 FLSTF that has been customized and had been chasing the ultimate goal of a Harley Hydraulic clutch.

But let me preface this with the config I had.

1999 FLSTF
I had Converted the Transmission to the Screamin Eagle 6 Speed back in 2000

You'll note that this is a standard upgrade and is listed in the HD Catalog and online Part Number 33100-03A

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...speed-gear-set

However the only listed Clutch release for it is the cable release. Part Number 38752-04 Harley lists no fitment other than the cable release.

I ran this config for years hoping to eventually move to a hydraulic cover.

Well it's done. and here's how. Here's the parts you need.

1. P/N 38753-04A SE 6 Speed Hydraulic Clutch Release
2. P/N 36731-91 Clutch Release Plate Assembly.
3. P/N 35148-03 Gasket clutch Release Cover.

Note since I had the cable actuated Release originally I already had the necessary Push-Rod If you were doing this from scratch Order the Rod for the Cable Actuated kit.

Now for the Secret Sauce, and this is what tripped H-D up for 15 years if trying to figure this out.

The Clutch Master cylinder. When Harley switched to Hydraulic clutch offerings, they changed the Bar diameter, and or the housing design so to have everything match you would need to also switch your brake Master.

Unless you happened to discover the Clutch Master for a V-ROD 04-05 P/N 38690-04D (this has been superseded by a newer number) this gives you the necessary 11/16 bore diameter and 1" bar There is also Chrome but I do not have that number handy.

Now from what I am told the Master for the Trikes is also the same bar, and 11/16 bore and same style as the EVO Brake Master. But I have not verified.

As an aside the Clutch Release (Hydraulic) also comes as a Variant for the 5 speed. If you wanted hydraulic but did not have the 6 speed.

Piece it all together with the appropriate plumbing and voila All HD OE parts making a 1999 Softtail (Should work for 1990-1999) with 6 speed Screaming Eagle Transmission Hydraulic actuated.

I did the leg work, you get the Rewards.

Oh and by the way this makes the clutch about as light on the EVO as it is on any of the new Milwaukee 8's Perhaps even a bit lighter.

So I figured I'd share since I can't possibly be the only one who has ever wanted to do this.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,203 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyevo@verizon.net
So I figured I'd share since I can't possibly be the only one who has ever wanted to do this.
If I was betting my last dollar, I would say yeah you probably are.

I did something similar...I have a baker 6 speed with a 4 speed cover, hydraulic clutch, and a kick start..but not many people want to put $3000 worth of parts on a bike that is only worth $4500 in today's crappy used bike market.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:52 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
If I was betting my last dollar, I would say yeah you probably are.

I did something similar...I have a baker 6 speed with a 4 speed cover, hydraulic clutch, and a kick start..but not many people want to put $3000 worth of parts on a bike that is only worth $4500 in today's crappy used bike market.
Careful Tom.... My Baker Primary was $2400 and am looking at getting rid of the a Ultima 6 and going with the Baker....

Old 10-27-2017, 11:38 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
but not many people want to put $3000 worth of parts on a bike that is only worth $4500 in today's crappy used bike market.
I feel ya, but I think they are thinking about it all wrong.

I rationalize my bike spending by comparing it to what new bikes cost.

I'll be around $7k deep into my Sportster project when it's all said and done.

On one hand, taking a bike that is worth (at best) $2500 and spending another $4500 on it makes no sense at all. On the other hand, there isn't a bike out there I could buy for $7k that is nearly as cool as what I'm going to end up with.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:51 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Careful Tom.... My Baker Primary was $2400 and am looking at getting rid of the a Ultima 6 and going with the Baker....
Don't forget what you've spent on your motor!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Tina when I got her she looked exactly like Prots bike.
I don't really know what I've spent on her but it's way over $3k and I've got plans to spend way more before I'm done...

Old 10-27-2017, 01:28 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Don't forget what you've spent on your motor!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Tina when I got her she looked exactly like Prots bike.
I don't really know what I've spent on her but it's way over $3k and I've got plans to spend way more before I'm done...
Yeah yeah.... Which time? Lol....

Old 10-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

now, will that hydraulic door work without the 6speed gearset?

*edit - just re-read your post and you addressed this. dont suppose you have a part number handy for the 5speed variant?

cause my bandit is HELL on the hand, but need the oomph to hold the mid 140's tq at the wheel...and im growing AWFULLY fond of the hydraulic clutch on my 17RGS

Last edited by Jasper86; 10-27-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:53 PM
harleyevo@verizon.net
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No no P/N for the 5SPD (From HD)

Originally Posted by Jasper86

*edit - just re-read your post and you addressed this. dont suppose you have a part number handy for the 5speed variant?

cause my bandit is HELL on the hand, but need the oomph to hold the mid 140's tq at the wheel...and im growing AWFULLY fond of the hydraulic clutch on my 17RGS
Jasper,

No unfortunately it's a different part for the 5spd. This weekend if I get to Valley forge HD I can ask the Mechanic there what the HD part is. However the 5SPD has a Metric A$$-Ton of parts for Hydraulic. Performance Machine, and Baker both have very good solid parts. yuo just need a 11/16 Master cylinder. which I've posted the P/N for:

P/N 38690-04D that's the entire assembly; lever etc runs about $135-160 depending on your shop markup.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper86

You *****!

2003 Screamin Eagle Road King used a hyd clutch system on a 5 speed, might be able to get the numbers off Rons Harley listing if your little hand hurts that bad.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

what can i say, i got spoiled by the slipper clutch on the '17 !

that being said - first attempt is gonna be a new cable (this ones 5 years old and getting gritty), and maybe one of those EZclutch replacement ramps (why not, they're only ~ $40)...and we'll see how that goes.

Honestly do think somethings wrong with the setup...this clutch is absolute murder...and I dont remember it being QUITE this heavy.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Clutch on an EVO w SE 6speed