EVO All Evo Model Discussion

No oil pressure. How did I screw up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:19 PM
evosteveo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure. How did I screw up?

I replaced the oil lines on my '84 FXR because it started leaking big time & meanwhile the hoses were over 30 years old. I had to pull the oil pump because it was in the way of a couple of fittings. No oil pressure after I reassembled - no suck at the gravity feed inlet, no blow at the return. The gears on the high pressure side of the pump turn when I crank engine but pump does not seem to be working, even though it was working before I took it apart. Yes, I put back the 2 woodruff keys when I reassembled, and replaced both gaskets using no sealant.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Did you put the right hose on the right fitting?

Old 12-11-2017, 04:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by evosteveo
I replaced the oil lines on my '84 FXR because it started leaking big time & meanwhile the hoses were over 30 years old. I had to pull the oil pump because it was in the way of a couple of fittings. No oil pressure after I reassembled - no suck at the gravity feed inlet, no blow at the return. The gears on the high pressure side of the pump turn when I crank engine but pump does not seem to be working, even though it was working before I took it apart. Yes, I put back the 2 woodruff keys when I reassembled, and replaced both gaskets using no sealant.
You need 3 woodruff keys when you rebuild a pump.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM
evosteveo
6th Gear

Yes, according to the dealer manual for that year. I triple checked. However, I just discovered that I am supposed to prime the pump by following this procedure: 1st take the plug out. (with the check ball)crank motor till oil comes out,replace plug,take out plug where tappet screen is,crank till oil comes out out,replace plug.crank motor about 30 more seconds to oil thru lifters and your ready to go.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM
evosteveo
6th Gear

3 keys? Well, I didn't actually pull the oil pump gear drive shaft out of the engine. I left it in the engine (it was stuck in there, held by a lock ring, I suspect) and just pulled the oil pump body off.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:55 PM
evosteveo
6th Gear

I'll try priming first. If that doesn't work, I'll try pulling the oil pump gear drive shaft out of the engine (although I think it is still engaged in there and I don't know how to get it loose yet).

Anyway, thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a thought, Pretty sure the factory lines were preformed or Bent in the direction they need to go. If you used new lines off a roll of hose is it possible you have one bent or kinked to much restricting flow?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:07 PM
evosteveo
6th Gear
Red face

Yes, I used hose off a roll. It WAS tricky to keep from kinking, but I actually rigged up, like, an IV full of oil straight into the oil pump, bypassing the oil reservoir, but that didn't work either (plus I got oil everywhere when the IV started leaking). But thanks for the thought!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:15 AM
evosteveo
6th Gear

So okay, removed the plugs one at a time and cranked and cranked. Finally I dumped in oil in the plug hole where tappet screen is until it overflowed and cranked it. Finally the output port of the oil pump started spewing oil, so I guess that's it!

F*ck me. Oil spilled everywhere, it took many hours altogether, and I'm still not ready to test it until I finish putting the bike back together. But I DIDN'T screw up really, I just didn't know to prime the oil pump by dumping oil in the uppermost plug hole until it overflowed.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Oil everywhere now may just be worth the mess, if you get oil circulating properly once again!

Quick Reply: No oil pressure. How did I screw up?