EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Yet another 80" build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Yet another 80" build.

So the motor is finally pulled down in my 86 heritage. And i feel like i will have a number of questions so i will start a build thread instead of posting 30 new threads.....

I have been researching all summer and here is my final plan. Im starting with a pretty much stock motor with about 25k miles on it.
- .010 over wiseco 10:1 pistons in my stock cylinders.
-have my stock heads freshened up and a set of s&s high lift springs installed.
-s&s 561 cam.

Upon assembly i will cc the heads and make sure my deck height is zero. And with a .030 head gasket i should be at my goal of 9.2:1 corrected compression ratio factoring in that particular cam grind.

I already have s&s lifters and pushrods, an Ultima ignition and dynatek coil, and it breathes through an s&s super e and v&h pro pipe.

This site has always been a huge help and i apreciate everyone's input.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Everything sounds good except for the cam. The 561 cam is not a bolt in cam for the Evo 80 inch motor. A really good cam for exactly what you're doing would be the woods W6 Cam. It is a bolt in cam sometimes though you might have to clearance the case so be careful.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

W6!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beemervet
W6!
a w6h was my top choice but I picked up the s&s used cheap.

I have heard only good things about woods cams

Old 12-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Everything sounds good except for the cam. The 561 cam is not a bolt in cam for the Evo 80 inch motor. A really good cam for exactly what you're doing would be the woods W6 Cam. It is a bolt in cam sometimes though you might have to clearance the case so be careful.
Yep i know i might have to clearance the case a little to make it go around.

Ill be putting springs in the head so everything should be ok.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

It's not the springs.. I'm not so sure about guides. I believe there is a good chance that the spring retaining collar might make contact with the top of the guide. You might want to call Kirby or Scott.... The oem heads are limited to .510" lift..

Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer

It's not the springs.. I'm not so sure about guides. I believe there is a good chance that the spring retaining collar might make contact with the top of the guide. You might want to call Kirby or Scott.... The oem heads are limited to .510" lift..
Thank you much for that heads up. I will make some calls after the holidays.

Im currently rubning a bolt in s&s 508 cam but i am wanting so squeeze some more out of my 80 incher without tearing into the bottom end and go with a stroker or big bore.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer

Should I have compression releases installed?

My bike still has the 4 speed style starter and to say that its a joke is an understatement.

My target ccp is about 190. Has anyone else had luck spinning over a higher compression motor with this style starter?

Old 12-23-2017, 08:34 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

It appears you have a Hitachi starter. I'm pretty sure you can find high-torque Hitachi starters out there. I have a 77 shovel where it cranks slow at 9 to 1 compression. I put in a 1.6 kilowatt starter aftermarket Hitachi and it cranks over so nice it's unbelievable. On the other hand compression releases never hurt, done right it's like $150 option. If you getting head work done not a bad idea to get that done as well it'll save on future builds. I can remember when I had a 10:1 woods w6 stage II heads build in my Evo. Sometimes hot it had a little bit of hard crank the first Revolution but that was it, never caused any problems not to start and didn't have excessive wear and tear on the starter system. A 300 or 320 CCP battery is also a nice upgrade to have... Interstate makes a good 320 battery....

Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer

It appears you have a Hitachi starter. I'm pretty sure you can find high-torque Hitachi starters out there. I have a 77 shovel where it cranks slow at 9 to 1 compression. I put in a 1.6 kilowatt starter aftermarket Hitachi and it cranks over so nice it's unbelievable. On the other hand compression releases never hurt, done right it's like $150 option. If you getting head work done not a bad idea to get that done as well it'll save on future builds. I can remember when I had a 10:1 woods w6 stage II heads build in my Evo. Sometimes hot it had a little bit of hard crank the first Revolution but that was it, never caused any problems not to start and didn't have excessive wear and tear on the starter system. A 300 or 320 CCP battery is also a nice upgrade to have... Interstate makes a good 320 battery....
I think i might just have them put in then thanks.

I guess I rather give my machine shop a little more money than cuss and swear putting a starter in my bike. Ive had it out once and don't look forward to doing it again.

And when you say "future builds" you mean this engine building thing isnt a once and done thing??

Quick Reply: Yet another 80" build.